Stuck Changing My Parking Lights

Strudul

Spent the last 3 hours battling with this and now it's dark and I'm getting pi**ed and resorting to just hitting things..

I'm trying to replace the driver's side parking light bulb...

I managed to get the holder out, only to discover the bulb had fallen off in the process and was rattling about in my headlight cover. I spent ages trying to get the little turd out and eventually manged using the end of a zip tie.

So with everything out, I put my new LED bulb in, only to discover that no matter what angle I tried, I couldn't get it to line back up and go in due to the extra length. I almost manged, but that resulted in me losing the new bulb in the headlight cover. Another 30 minutes of swearing and jiggling the thing about with my new found trusty zip tie, I got it out.

The problem is this stupid metal bar which stops the bulb holder from coming straight out, but instead forces me to pull it to one side and come out at a funny angle:

E6mrsWZ.jpg?1

Is there a better way to do this or can I easily remove this metal bar?

Cheers

Edited by Strudul

I didn't realize you could get at it through the engine bay. I had the front bumper off and the light out to change the sidelight bulb... though I know you can also go in through the wheel arch. Perhaps you can take the wheel off and pull back the arch liner to attack it from behind if your having trouble?

Umm, that picture is through the wheel arch. It's the only place you'll see the back of the bulb holder like that.

Couldn't get a decent picture showing the bar from further away - kept coming out like this, so went with that close up in the OP.

KXkOqSe.jpg

Anyway, I've manged to do it now by removing the front bumper so I could get my fingers in from the side.

Had to poke the new LED bulb halfway into the headlight while barely keeping a grip of it, then push the holder onto it and then everything through into the headlight.

Still got the other side to do, but that can definitely wait til tomorrow cos I definitely need a beer right now.

Edited by Strudul

I have found that you are quicker just partially taking the bumper off and removing the headlights which is about 1 hours work from start to finish.

I think you might be right.

If it wasn't for that bar It'd be a breeze, but it is just right in the way and means you have to pull to the side rather than straight back. But then any extra length from a bulb stops you from pulling to the side without knocking the bulb off or breaking something.

Edited by Strudul

I hope you bought decent LED bulbs that won't fail in a few weeks and have to go through this all again!

Not amazing, but pretty decent - though that doesn't mean extra tight.

Think I'll do what Alex suggested and remove the headlights so I can get in properly then use some electrical tape to make sure they don't fall out.

I hope you bought decent LED bulbs that won't fail in a few weeks and have to go through this all again!

Not amazing, but pretty decent - though that doesn't mean extra tight.

Think I'll do what Alex suggested and remove the headlights so I can get in properly then use some electrical tape to make sure they don't fall out.

I had the same issue first time I bought LEDs, bought half decent ones, but they were over an inch long and took forever to try to fit. Lesson learnt. In future I'll buy the short 5 SMD bulbs or something similar because the light from the larger ones is no brighter.

• Like 1

All done. For the LHS I just pulled the top of the front bumper back enough to get at the headlight screws so I could pull the whole assembly out and swap the bulb. Soooooo much easier.

I wouldn't go as far to say it was worth it, it's taken way longer than expected and my hands are ripped to shreds, but it needed doing and it does look much better. :dry:

PlJ7EIf.jpg?1

Edited by Strudul

• 3 months later...

All done. For the LHS I just pulled the top of the front bumper back enough to get at the headlight screws so I could pull the whole assembly out and swap the bulb. Soooooo much easier.

I wouldn't go as far to say it was worth it, it's taken way longer than expected and my hands are ripped to shreds, but it needed doing and it does look much better. :dry:

Which bulbs did you go with?

These

Seem to do the job. Very bright, but the bulbs themselves are a bit unsightly and rather huge. Doesn't bother me, you only notice if you start inspecting the headlights.

However, the size means you have to pull the headlights up / out to install them. There are smaller options which probably are just as effective and easier to install (just remove arch liner).

You'll also want to put some electrical tape around where they connect so they don't fall out.