Clutch Pedal lost resistance, garage want £900?

Player 1

So I've got an '07 HR, car has done just over 100k and is used as a daily driver. Over the last week the clutch pedal has seemed to lose pressure on the first part of the travel.

But if I pump the pedal in neutral it seems to perk up a little. Alternatively if I remain in gear for a longer stretch and shift down at a roundabout it seems to have even less resistance until the very last moment. Despite this if I put the car in a higher gear and accelerate out at lower speeds the clutch doesn't slip. So I was hoping for a slave/master cylinder failure, not a clutch although it does rumble a little in neutral it's not awful like my old DE was.

I took the car out to the garage in the village and left it with them. But they've been in contact this morning to let me know that the car needs £900 to fix. I've done some research on the forums and found that the gearbox needs to come out to change out the slave cylinder? Is it false economy to not do work to the clutch, or is their a lite option to keep me ticking on.

It's a bit random, but what would you guys recommend?

On a DE the gearbox doesn't need to come out to change the slave not sure about a HR though.

Is the car still on its first clutch. If it is and the gearbox does need to come out then you might as well change everything.

That £900 the quoted better include a new clutch and flywheel though. If it doesn't then they are having a laugh. I paid roughly the same amount for new slave/clutch/flywheel and labour.

Where about are you located?

Edited by Randy_Baton

Yup Gearbox out on an HR to change the Slave cylinder, did they say it was leaking or what they thought the problem was? First thing I would do is change the fluid and bleed the system unless it is actually leaking. After that I would look at the mileage but yes if I was having the slave cylinder replaced and the clutch had more than 40K on it I would have the clutch done at the same time (if I wasn't doing it myself) as the labour is expensive. I would say just change the clutch plate but they don't recommend that on 350/370s although I have never had a 100% convincing argument why you can't do it just you shouldn't do it.

Good luck with it :thumbs:

Ask the garage what's included in the £900 quote they gave you. As above, if the CSC is leaking, it might have contaminated your clutch as well, you'd need a new clutch, flywheel, CSC and is also advised to get a master cylinder while you do the lot. It will be more expensive than £900, including labour.

Do give you some ideas about parts and prices, have a look here:

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/combo-packs/5880-350z-de-competition-clutch-flywheel-fluid-combo.html

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/ancillaries/338-350z-hr-torqen-tilton-racing-clutch-master-cylinder-trq-350zhr-tmc.html

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/ancillaries/341-350z-hr-z-speed-performance-zsp-heavy-duty-csc-concentric-slave-cylinder-zsp2006.html