Clay Bar question!

macca

Just picked up a meguiars clay bar kit this morning. I'm going to go and wash the car now but do I use the clay bar straight after the wash, then polish it or just leave it as it is after I've clay barred without doing the polish?

Macca

Just picked up a meguiars clay bar kit this morning. I'm going to go and wash the car now but do I use the clay bar straight after the wash, then polish it or just leave it as it is after I've clay barred without doing the polish?

Macca

Wash....dry..... spray small area with quick detailer... use clay bar on area... do whole car....dry whole car with microfibre....polish/wax etc... wipe off with microfibre..... stand back and admire! :teeth:

Id advise you to get the megs 3 step. Its decent stuff for a reasonable price and it doesnt half make a difference. The clay i find is best used on areas where a cloth isnt gettingthe tar/dirt off. like my current car is white and the exhaust fumes stain the rear bumper over time so once a month i go over the rear bumber and any tar spots with the clay bar.

Its the 3 step stuff I have I think, quick detailer, clay bar and cleaner wax, so guess I just wash then go through this whole kit :) Hadn't realised it had the wax in with it. Was going to use the autoglym super resin polish I had but I'll use this megs stuff instead!

Macca

Its the 3 step stuff I have I think, quick detailer, clay bar and cleaner wax, so guess I just wash then go through this whole kit :) Hadn't realised it had the wax in with it. Was going to use the autoglym super resin polish I had but I'll use this megs stuff instead!

Macca

The megs 3 step is the paint cleaner, polish and wax. Is that what you have? On each of the bottles it has a number on that you use in order. 1.2 and 3 obviously.

Like i said wash, dry. apply quick detailer to provide a lubricant for the clayber. dry car. then use the paint cleaner. then polish . then wax. comes up a treat.

Fair simple - Wash the car as normal. If you are not in the sun and don't get watermarks normally then no need to dry the car. Then use the detailer as lubricant and rub the clay all over the bodywork drying off easy section with a towel.

Once you have run out of detailer you don't need to spend lots on it, a bit of soapy water will do the job just as well.

If the car is being clayed for the first time, take your time, use plenty of lubricant and rinse each panel after claying. Pulling grit out of the body work will result in some of the smaller particles drying on the car again and you will not have fully removed the offending little bits of cr@p.

If you do use soapy water (I would wholeheartedly recommend you do not do this) then definitely rinse it well and often.

The one thing to remember to do after polishing the car, is to put some sort of sealant on the car. By claying the car you are removing particles ingrained in the protective surface of the car. By polishing, you are still removing a barrier from the car. Something like Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or Auto Glym Ultra Gloss Protection will put back the protection on the car. Then apply the wax. Wax will not last for as long as a sealant.

Enjoy the claying, you won't believe how much comes off the car! :)

If the car is being clayed for the first time, take your time, use plenty of lubricant and rinse each panel after claying. Pulling grit out of the body work will result in some of the smaller particles drying on the car again and you will not have fully removed the offending little bits of cr@p.

If you do use soapy water (I would wholeheartedly recommend you do not do this) then definitely rinse it well and often.

The one thing to remember to do after polishing the car, is to put some sort of sealant on the car. By claying the car you are removing particles ingrained in the protective surface of the car. By polishing, you are still removing a barrier from the car. Something like Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or Auto Glym Ultra Gloss Protection will put back the protection on the car. Then apply the wax. Wax will not last for as long as a sealant.

H5 I wish you'd clean my car, I'm good but nowhere near as fanatical as you :blush:

Claybar OCD lol

H5 I wish you'd clean my car, I'm good but nowhere near as fanatical as you :blush:

Claybar OCD lol

I just try and understand what all these products claim to do and what they actually do. Spending time on Detailing World and seeing it work for yourself soon helps. Am happy to have a go though! :teeth:

And agreed with what Rob said. :thumbs:

Claybar OCD lol

I just try and understand what all these products claim to do and what they actually do. Spending time on Detailing World and seeing it work for yourself soon helps. Am happy to have a go though! :teeth:

Hold u 2 that :-)

Claybar OCD lol

As long as you produce the avatar girl for entertainment you have a deal! ;)

Claybar OCD lol

As long as you produce the avatar girl for entertainment you have a deal! ;)

No probelm i'll set up the wireless laptop on the 50" widescreen via the front window ;)

• 2 weeks later...