bypassing milltek back box

wilo

okay guys need advice from more knowledgeable people on here please .

i have a decatted full milltek system and have recently had the resonator removed and a straight pipe welded in place to gain more noise at lower revs .

now while this has worked it has also altered the tone of the exhaust making it more raspy which i dont like .

so while browsing some usa forums on the subject i found that alot of them guys leave the resonators in place in favor of removing the muffler ( i presume they mean back box?) .

so if i reweld the resonator back and have some pipes made up to replace the milltek back box will this achieve a deeper note at lower revs while not been too raspy .

appreciate any advice before i book the car in for more stainless surgery

Do they mention what sort of volume they're getting? Don't know about the tone you'll get but surely taking out the muffler is going to give you plenty of noise but this could be an MOT fail? IMHO you'd be better off selling your Miltek and getting a system that suits your needs as it comes mate. Otherwise you might be left with a franken-zorst that you don't like!

• Like 1

Do they mention what sort of volume they're getting? Don't know about the tone you'll get but surely taking out the muffler is going to give you plenty of noise but this could be an MOT fail? IMHO you'd be better off selling your Miltek and getting a system that suits your needs as it comes mate. Otherwise you might be left with a franken-zorst that you don't like!

Hi ...

one post did mention it made it louder but not stupidly loud like he thought it would .

i also know a very friendly mot dude which helps immensely :) .

and yea i posted a swap add months ago but the guy was to far away to make it a viable swap ..but that would be ideal if it could be done .i absolutely love the tone of the milltek but its just too tame at low revs for me .

You running hfc's too?

yea its got APS decats fitted

Oh yeah just re-read the 1st post! You could always try it with no back box to get a rough idea! Not too early in the morning though...

Good luck but I reckon be sure before you hack it up mate.

You running hfc's too?

yea its got APS decats fitted

Oh yeah just re-read the 1st post! You could always try it with no back box to get a rough idea! Not too early in the morning though...

Good luck but I reckon be sure before you hack it up mate.

yea good idea i may just do this tomorrow afternoon ...the de-res may effect the tone tho

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, would you not be tempted to swap for an exhaust which is designed to be loud / louder? Once you start cutting the backbox, you'll probably not be able to sell it if you're unhappy! I had the Milltek and found it way too quiet. Sold it to a member here who has decats, and he says that brought the volume up nicely. But I see you already have decats and still don't like the sound. What about rather than cutting off the backbox, you put stock cats back on and see if that reduces the rasp but keeps the volume without the resonator?

Edited by colesl4w

the decats will be causing the rasp, but with a full milltek system being so quiet you wont hear the rasp much. start taking bits out of the milltek and the rasp will come through.

I definitely wouldn't go butchering the backbox, a decatted exhaust with just a centre resonator will sound awful, it'll be really loud, raspy and no tone at all, it'll just be noise.

personally, i'd start again. put the standard cats back in to kill the rasp, then swap the milltek for something louder, like a buddyclub or an ark, or get something custom made.

Also, whats the point in having a milltek exhaust if you're going to cut off the bit that makes it a milltek? if you're considering removing the backbox its clearly not the exhaust for you!

the milltek came with the car pal.

it wasnt until i heard other louder zeds that it became an issue and wanted more noise

ah ok, didn't realise it came with the car. I'd just flog it on and buy something louder if it isn't the one for you. but i'd steer clear of bypassing/removing the backbox - it'll certainly be louder, but you'll lose a lot of the tone.

although if its just a bolt on job, by all means take it off and see how you get on!

EDIT to add, on a related note, I just did a backbox delete on my bmw track car, and had a straight bit of pipe welded in its place - certainly louder and deeper on start up, but no tone! however it is a lot lighter and might release an extra pony or two, both of which are good things for a track car.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

Just another option for you here wilo that nobody has mentioned, what about an exhaust bypass valve?

Basically in case you don't know it's a servo operated valve/s that you have installed in your exhaust system which when opened will bypass your normal exhaust system and just release the gases where it is. You can position it where you like but I think for the loudest increase in volume most of the people that I've seen install the valve/s just after the Cats or De-Cats (you could fit it just in front of your backbox which I think another member did).

Some info & videos for you in this thread: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/63039-qtp-bypass-valve/

Ones for sale on eBay but you may find them cheaper elsewhere: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/282163232289?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484350386&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1007415&device=c&campaignid=620865095&crdt=0

Just more food for thought. :thumbs: