RTC - Zed and a Scenic

CJRamze

Afternoon everyone.

I'm posting to ask for advice, Normally I'm very level headed at this sort of thing but the surrounding implications have obviously got me quite upset.

Yesterday I was driving to my Nans for some afternoon tea as I've not seen her in sometime. I came off my exit at the roundabout (Two lanes)

The right lane very quickly merges into the left lane once your off the roundabout and doesn't leave too much room for thought.

I was in the left lane, The Renault scenic was in the right lane and was half a car length behind me. When it came time to merge the car that was infront of me (In the right lane) I let merge into my lane by simply letting off the throttle and letting him in.

Very shortly after this the car was rocked and I looked to my right and thought 'Did that guy just hit me?'

I realised that he had, we pulled over and he instantly engaged in telling me that I clearly 'Didn't see him' and 'What was I doing merging into his lane'

I corrected him and said that actually his lane merges into mine and that if he didn't believe me there was no point getting angry and taking it back at me he should go back and check and in future remember to look at road signs.

He was very irate so I didn't engage further with him we swapped details and went about our days.

I went straight home and informed Admiral who said that they would chase the claim and get back to me (yesterday) nobody did so I called today.

He has disputed the claim and now it has to be independently assessed.

Now this goes without saying but you have to assume what I'm telling you is 100% the truth (Because it is) and that he is infact disputing an accident that he is clearly the cause of, Not only is the above exactly what happened but the damage is on the drivers side (Rear half) of my car and on the passenger (Front half) of his meaning he merged into the back half of my car.

Does anyone have advice?

Do you know how it goes from here?

What should I do next? Should I prepare for anything?

If this affects me its likely that I will lose my no claims and I'll have to either Shed the Zed or sell it and for me to lose the 350z to someone elses actions would really truly upset me. I've worked very hard for my 350z and what I've got and I really don't want to lose her!

https://goo.gl/photo...eJLqt13bg2rnwh8

^^

Photos of the damage.

Edit:

Location of the accident showing the merging lane (His lane) the middle lane (My lane) and the dedicated lane (Unavailible)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6051284,-2.9941118,3a,75y,171.11h,64.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI2plO8XfDNrInJaMZBiWlQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by CJRamze

Given that the front half of his car hit the rear half of your car i'd say it was pretty clear cut where the fault lies, but wouldn't be surprised if it was given a 50/50 claim given its a roundabout and merging lanes both have to be aware of other cars around them.

Hope you managed to get it sorted with minimal fuss! Good luck is all I can say :)

• Like 1

Seems pretty clear he was going to tuck in behind you but as he came across, you slowed down due to the person in front, causing him to hit you. But insurers love a roundabout accident as they often go for 50/50 meaning they can blame you both, take both your no claim bonus and put up both premiums next year. If this happens, fight it.

Go back a bit here. Which entry road were you both coming from onto the roundabout? I assume 12 o'clock, and you were both going straight over?

Tbh regardless, this is going down as a 50/50. He'll say you pulled across into him, and without any witnesses you're pretty much stuffed as that could be the true version. We know it's not, but that's going to be hard to argue. Maybe it'd go 75/25, but that's no comfort.

Now, you may get lucky and the insurers do find you not at fault, but I wouldn't count on it. I got lucky with my claim back in April when I fully expected that to be 50/50 so it does happen, but plan for the worst. If that were me, I'd wait until they decide then simply cancel your side of the claim and get the car fixed yourself. That's not a huge amount of damage and it's only on the door, and it's a better idea than selling up. Sure, you'll have to declare the accident but that won't push your price up too much if at all, and you'll keep your NCB. Remember, you have the right to cancel the claim right up until the point where the insurance start shelling out, so even if you take it to a garage to get a quote (and I would do this off my own back), you can still walk away with your NCB.

I have other various pieces of advice too, but they can wait until you're more relaxed. For now though, don't panic and remember that this is easily sortable, it will just take a bit of care and thought. :)

• Like 1

CJ you need to edit that album as there is a picture of you in your underwear whisking some egg whites or something! :scare:

Can't really help but just try not to worry as it's out of your hands now that it's with the insurers. ;)

Maybe worth checking his reg plate on the DVLA website though to make sure he has up to date Tax & MOT.

Ahahaha.

Not a video of me but my housemate just filming the mad @*!# that goes down on a daily basis.

He was whisking up vaping stuff...

I've removed it now! I dont mind and he wont but you guys love a men in underwear.

• Like 1

I'm assuming he has less than 3 years, else it would be protected and nothing to worry about. Or is it 5 years when you can protect it? Or is that guarantee it?

I didn't realise there was a minimum number you had to have to protect it. I've got 9 years ncb and I don't protect it :lol:

Mines over 5 years but I had a genuine accident in 2014 and when I came to re-insure this year it would be an extra £250 to make sure it was protected, I didn't have the money at the time so I incorrectly assumed as I only drive the car for fun occasionally and winters approaching it wouldn't be a problem.

How much I regret this decision.

Go back a bit here. Which entry road were you both coming from onto the roundabout? I assume 12 o'clock, and you were both going straight over?

Tbh regardless, this is going down as a 50/50. He'll say you pulled across into him, and without any witnesses you're pretty much stuffed as that could be the true version. We know it's not, but that's going to be hard to argue. Maybe it'd go 75/25, but that's no comfort.

Now, you may get lucky and the insurers do find you not at fault, but I wouldn't count on it. I got lucky with my claim back in April when I fully expected that to be 50/50 so it does happen, but plan for the worst. If that were me, I'd wait until they decide then simply cancel your side of the claim and get the car fixed yourself. That's not a huge amount of damage and it's only on the door, and it's a better idea than selling up. Sure, you'll have to declare the accident but that won't push your price up too much if at all, and you'll keep your NCB. Remember, you have the right to cancel the claim right up until the point where the insurance start shelling out, so even if you take it to a garage to get a quote (and I would do this off my own back), you can still walk away with your NCB.

I have other various pieces of advice too, but they can wait until you're more relaxed. For now though, don't panic and remember that this is easily sortable, it will just take a bit of care and thought. :)

Approach the roundabout from 12 o clock (Facing into the centre of the clock) two cars in the right lane, me in the left we are all taking the last exit, both lanes in this instance are marked to go to the last exit. When we get to the exit I let the first car in the right lane go first into my lane (As hes infront of me) theres a car behind me to my right (In the right lane) so at that point we've both left the roundabout I'm in the left lane, Hes in the right lane that will need to merge with my lane, I'm infront of him and I'm driving in my lane in a straight line.

He decides at this point to merge, As hes behind me almost as if he's saying he 'doesn't want to let me in' so he turns into me and hits me.

When we stop he gets out of the car and starts blaming me for merging into him in HIS lane where HE has the right of way.

I'm starting to think that he didn't like the fact that I'd taken the left lane and wanted to force me to stop or push me out of the way, when he collided with me I think he realised he took it too far and being very irate and upset.

Its a shame, I don't want to lose the Zed and I don't like not knowing whats going to happen.

Yeah, that's what I guessed. Why was the filter lane unavailable?

I'm guessing that he misjudged your speed and expected you to be going quicker than you were when you let the other car merge ahead of you, so when he turned in he expected you to go. Or you may have slowed up unnecessarily, I don't know. Clearly his fault for running into you regardless, however that's tough to prove. He may say you swung out, or anything else that puts him in the right and you in the wrong. Regardless, it's not something I'd remotely worry about right now, you need to get further down the line and see what they say.

Why would you have to get rid of the car if you lose your NCB? There'll always be an insurer willing to take you on for less, and given that you'll have to pay your excess anyway if it goes 50/50 you can simply put that cost against the repair bill of fixing it yourself. There's ways and means round it, just remember you're the customer and you can take your time deciding what to do. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further, or if/when things progress a bit more and we can chat through your options in more detail. :) Don't panic my friend, we'll sort this out in your favour somehow, promise.