Bose Problem

Strudul

So, the old post below still applies (and I'm still looking for a solution for that), but things are getting worse.

Along with the popping, the sub seems to cut out sometimes for an indefinite time (which does seem to be a known issue). I only notice this happen while the car is running, however if I turn the key back 1 notch (so the car is off, but the stereo stays on), the sub comes back. If I then start the car, I lose the sub again.

Any ideas why this would happen?

I did notice the Voltmeter is reading 14-15V. Dunno if this has any significance though?

OLD POST:

Hey

I am having an issue with the Bose sub making a popping sound, especially when I turn the volume up.

I took apart the amp and found someone had already tried the temporary fix of shoving a wedge of electrical tape between the relay and the case, so I decided to follow the guide here and replace the relay itself.

I connected it all back up and it worked great for about 5 minutes, but then the popping came back.

Turning the volume down meant the popping went away for a bit, but then it came back, so I lowered it some more, it went away for a bit and then came back etc etc.

Now it's at a level where there is no popping, but I have to have the volume at ~14, which is adequate, but not ideal.

If I turn the volume back up to where it was after I first fixed it, it pretty much just pops constantly.

I tested with the same song, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke or due to the song choice.

Now, considering it did sound perfect (well, as perfect as the Bose system can be) for a while, I'm assuming the fix did work, but now the relay has gone again?

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

-Is it just a case of replacing the relay again and being more careful about how loud I turn it up?

-Is there anything else to check?

-Is there a better fix? (A higher spec relay or something?)

Cheers

~Strudul

Edited by Strudul

• 2 months later...

I can't say I have had this problem but seen it before on the USA forums..

If your sure it's the Amp, Maybe put a wanted up maybe someone has one laying around who might get rid for a good price? (apologies if you have ready done that).

2 problems with that:

1) I'm not sure it's the amp.

2) I like to fix stuff, so would prefer to find a solution and attempt repair first.

Almost 99% sure its the amp. Had a similar issue where the sub wluld cut in and out, sometimes if left it would return sometimes a good thump would get it to return. Not that I understand its something to do with the relay inside the amp

Bought a second hand amp of Bob Ellis and its cured the issue and works a treat

• Like 1

I cant say for definite as I dont understand car sound systems enough (this is actually my first car with a sub.. lol) but I'd like to say so

Mine used to make a loud pop everytime the sub would cut out, but replacing the AMP was an educated guess that could've backfired. Forgive me for saying but if your AMP has been fiddled with already, its more then likly a recurring issue. Id replace the AMP

• 1 month later...

Did you do this ?

http://www.350z-uk.c...cutout-fix-amp/

Fixed it for me, except I still thwack the side of the stereo to wake it up sometimes :D

(but that's a volume thing not the bass)

I did, but it only lasted 5 mins before it started popping again, and now it pops once then cuts out completely until I turn the ignition back a notch.

Might try redoing it though....

Does anyone know where the sub amp is grounded?

Edited by Strudul