Winter tyre advice

Barkerm87

Bought some used 18 inch wheels. Was advised to put 225/40r18 tyres on them. I can see winter tyres online in that size? I don't know much about tyres... But 40 feels super low profile? Can I go up a few sizes on tyres or are wheels set to specific sizes? What would anyone recommend? For that width and rim size.

Thanks! Sorry if this is in wrong section!

Personally I'd stick with OEM sizes, no real need to change that aspect as the Zed isn't going to be great in proper snow regardless due to weight distribution. Remember you need wider tyres on the rear regardless of winter or summer compounds, so don't put 225/40 all the way round.

Many people (myself included) ran 225/40/18 and 245/40/18 all round on summer tyres with no ill effect, so I can't see you having any issues.

• Like 1

I bought a set of 17" wheels with winter tyres on, if it's bad I would just leave the zed at ho,e but I certianly found smaller wheels + winter tyres improved it 3 fold in poor conditions.

I hate changing the bugger over though.

what wheels did you buy exactly? guessing they weren't from a zed? or perhaps more importantly, what width rims did you buy? normal zed wheels are 8" front, 8.5" rear, but if you've got 8" front and rear, you'd still be able to fit the standard sizes of 225/45 and 245/45.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

I've run Hankook winter tyres in standard 225/45R18 and 245/45R18 sizes for the last five winters. I've been very impressed, even just in cold weather they have noticeably better traction and braking than summer tyres. If you have to use the car all year round whatever the weather then they are a great investment. :thumbs:

• Like 2

To be fair I've probably only done 6000 miles over those five years but I've driven in quite varied conditions including light snow and they did the job. I previously had them in 16" on an R50 Mini and they worked fine in deeper snow as well, just bear in mind that for snow use they are only good with a tread depth of 4mm or more.

At the start of April this year I swapped to new MPSS in wider 19" sizes and then we had a few colder days and I was surprised at how little traction they had. It might have been because the MPSS were too new but in cold, damp, dreary weather throughout the winter I got used to the level of confidence that the Hankooks gave me. You can even have a spirited drive and accelerate and brake as if it was a dry sunny day if you wanted to. Cornering is fun and predictable but not the same as a stiffer quality summer tyre which I felt was a fair trade off.

Edited by roadtrip

Heres a random question, I'll ask here instead of creating another thread. I'm always saying to myself I don't have the spare cash to go and get winter tyres which are usually just as expensive as my MPSS I put on it. ....but is there any 'decent' winter tyres that are budgets or below £90 that anyones ever tried or know are good? Just thought I'd ask don't shoot me with....you get what you pay for lol

good news about winter tyres is... pretty much any winter tyre will be miles better in cold temps than any summer tyre. to that end, i'd certainly consider midrange stuff like Avon, Kumho, Hankook (IMO, premium brand, midrange prices), Nokian...

Also, you have to consider that if you buy winter tyres, your summer tyres will last twice as long as they aren't being used between November - March.

• Like 1