Rusted brake pipes..

L3W15

I was wondering if someone could tell me, roughly what am I looking to pay for the brake pipes being replaced right through the car. Garage told me that had to order them from Nissan and I'm slightly cringing at what the price will be. So far the garage hasn't given me the price because they said they couldn't tell me a price because they were unsure of how difficult it would be to remove the old stuff....

Any info is much appreciated :)

If you are buying them from Nissan I would say - a lot!!!!

Usually you do not replace all the brake pipes just the rusty bits by cutting and then adding a new bit in or replacing with braided lines, the main runs under the car with the fuel pipe can be stripped and replaced but it is a big job as the fuel tank and loads of other stuff has to come out :scare:

You could see if a breaker or try Zmanalex or maybe Emperor Tuning on here see if they can supply a set from a stripped car but shipping would be fun as its a good 10' long.

The ones under the bonnet should be fine again lots of stuff needs to be removed to get them out - I know I've done it :doh:

Good luck with it :thumbs:

If you don't go through Nissan, Its a single piece of brake tubing that needs to be bent into the right shape. The tubing and fixings should cost around £20.

No idea how long it takes to bend it into shape though. Can't be more than a few hours :thumbs:.

I got charges 10 hours for fabrication and install - but the general consensus was that I got massively ripped off :kicking:

Only replace the pipes that are seriously corroded.

Never heard of having to replace the complete set.

Is this an MOT failure or just an advisory ?

As what Keyser has said.

I have all the pipes in stock, however I doubt very much that you will require them all.

Are you running Brembo or JDM calipers ?

I would get the garage to more specific on what is required.

Could well be just surface rust which will clean off and then you can give them a good coating of grease to prevent further corrosion.

If you don't go through Nissan, Its a single piece of brake tubing that needs to be bent into the right shape. The tubing and fixings should cost around £20.

No idea how long it takes to bend it into shape though. Can't be more than a few hours :thumbs:.

I got charges 10 hours for fabrication and install - but the general consensus was that I got massively ripped off :kicking:

You may not the only one that was ripped off then ..... Just got my car back, parts came from Nissan dealer I believe, totalling £190.... That was for the full pipes underneath though I believe, labour charges were in the 300 range so my total bill was £603

Kind of shocked but kind of not, just glad I have my car back ....

Thanks for your replies.

From reading your build thread Keyser, I'd say that these kinds of jobs are a doddle for you ;)

Only replace the pipes that are seriously corroded.

Never heard of having to replace the complete set.

Is this an MOT failure or just an advisory ?

As what Keyser has said.

I have all the pipes in stock, however I doubt very much that you will require them all.

Are you running Brembo or JDM calipers ?

I would get the garage to more specific on what is required.

Could well be just surface rust which will clean off and then you can give them a good coating of grease to prevent further corrosion.

Well my brakes completely failed on the way home from a friends, noticed a leak where it had burst. When I put it in the garage I asked them to fix it and mot. They told me that they were all completely rusty and not in a great condition at all. It's an 04 car and when I saw amount of rust I didn't really question them.

Turns out that it hadn't gone through the mot and they were just visually inspecting. I have brembo's. I'm not sure what they removed in total, will have another look at the invoice shortly, needed to sit down with a beer for a bit after being told my cost haha

Ended up snapping mine changing the front discs, garage i took it to made up some new copper lines for the front and they are good as new!

Think it cost around £120 including labor which i thought was decent!

Edited by Alex350z
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had to get some of my brake pipes replaced on previous Alfa. Corroded, like most thing on an Alfa. Local company made up the pipes exactly as needed. Including fitting it all came to less than £100.

Dealer = Stealers.

Although if your brakes failed completely then they must have been bad to be fair. Considering that I think you can count yourself lucky you only had a bill, rather than failing on the motorway! :wacko:

Don't know own if anyone saw my other post but I snapped my off side rear on Saturday. Just been to nissan and they told me the part is discontinued. I've booked it in in a garage quater of a mile from my house. They want £168 for making new copper pipe and bleeding it. Does anyone think this is a good price? ? At less then quater of a mile away I can drive it there...it's down the same Street!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk