Toshiba Satilite C50 win 8 help?

Tricky-Ricky

Ongoing form my wife's laptop demise, due to the problems i had with the windows 10 cough "upgrade", i ended up removing it, trouble is

that i think doing this causes yet more problems, anyway the upshot was that it corrupted the HDD/operating system, now the problem is that the wife didn't create a recovery/system image disc,

So after formatting the HDD, which was the only option, i am now left with the prospect of having to pay Toshiba £50 just for a USB or CD to get Window 8 back onto it, as due to the product key being embedded in the bios, i cant just download windows 8 and install, the media creation tool wont let me so i was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and knew of a cheaper way around it?

Microsoft tech support recently generated a fresh Windows 7 key for me after a similar issue, I just had to prove purchase. Took a bit of effort with them over the phone but once I got to level 2 support it was a doddle.

I'd download an ISO and install, I think you get a short grace period to register before they shut you down.

The trouble is i cant download an iso the creation tool wont allow me to proceed, it will allso be difficult to get proof of purchase as the laptop was an insurance replacement for one that was damaged, the product key is in the bios so can even access this to authorise any new copy.

There are a couple of tools you can try to recover the OEM code. The simplest being "Windows OEM Product Key Tool" the only problem being you would need to be on the computer you want to extract the key from. failing that its DOS Based BIOS tools to extract the relevant code.

If you were really pushed, I would lob a copy of "Tiny XP" onto the laptop, should be fairly painless to do and you wont need to mess around with all the drivers, then run the tool I linked to.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks! but i don't think the product key should be a problem once i manage to boot it from windows, the bios stored key should activate it, my problem is that i can get a copy of windows 8.1 via the Microsoft media creation tool, i just get the message "This service cannot be started, ether because its disabled, or because it has no device associated with it"?

and i couldn't find a malware free copy via torrent.

Thanks! but i don't think the product key should be a problem once i manage to boot it from windows, the bios stored key should activate it, my problem is that i can get a copy of windows 8.1 via the Microsoft media creation tool, i just get the message "This service cannot be started, ether because its disabled, or because it has no device associated with it"?

PM your address, I think I have a non-malware win 8 DVD somewhere. You might have to use Windowz Update to get to 8.1 though.

• Like 1

PM your address, I think I have a non-malware win 8 DVD somewhere. You might have to use Windowz Update to get to 8.1 though.

Thanks Stu, the offer is very much appreciated, but someone on another forum has already put a couple of windows discs in the post, but if i am still stuck, i will drop you a PM. :)