Help please for the new guy

Player 1

Basically it's a plea for information on how to address some niggles that are starting to take away my fun of the car. I am, fair warning, not mechanically minded. However having recently changed careers and took on some more responsibilities I'm really forced to do it on a budget or move the car on and call it quits. The car is a UK spec 2007 HR with just over 100k miles.

The initial issue I've been avoiding is the rumble/knocking over low speed bumps, I've taken it to the local garage but they're unable to confirm just what it is. I've looked across the board and on youtube

and I take it it's the compression arms? It does it on both sides now, but I can't tell if it's from the rear as well?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Nissan-350Z-350-Z-Front-suspension-lower-rear-track-control-wishbone-arm-RH-/252154947121?hash=item3ab59b2631:g:O~0AAOSwzgRWuJyN I know it's ghetto but I'm shy of options. I've read on this board that people use after market bushes with these cheaper options? Worth changing the drop links as well to cover those bases?

The other issue is a rattling noise in 1st and 2nd when pulling away on low revs, happens for a second or so as the clutch re engages and only under 2k revs? I'm hoping this is a heat shield and exhaust rattle rather than an issue with the clutch. I can't seem to find many threads on this though, it's not the same sound though as you get when you're in neutral and pumping the clutch. It does seem to be coming from the rear of the car.

Finally Oil pressure seems low, will jump to about 3/4 on start up and drops back down to 1/2 on normal driving. But it does drop way below 1/4 when it's warmed up and stationary. I've looked at some threads on this and just panicked and closed them. Is there much I can do on a budget? Or is just about saving now for the oil gallery gaskets?

On a plus, the CD player works as does the drivers window. I'm out in south Lincolnshire if anyone can recommend a Z friendly garage? Apologies for a long post and a couple of questions, ideally I'd run it out to one of the traders mentioned here, but it's just not an option right now I need a cheaper DIY fix.

Thanks

The good news is your oil pressure sounds normal.

Mine is just under 1/4 when idle warm.

Rises to 1/4 when warm idle with ac on.

When warm it'll be at 1/2 doing 30 in 3rd / 40 in 4th / 50 in 5th so on.

When cold idle is nearer 1/2 way and shoots up under load JUST LIKE YOURS

You need to get a proper reading of your pressures when the car is hot and idling and again @2000rpm to know whether gaskets are shot.

Has your car every had a single mass flywheel fitted as this can cause low down chatter noise from the transmission which may well be the rattle you can hear ! If not it will most probably be the heat shield.

I'm in Hull and if I don't work on my own car I take it to JapTech they are spot on and only do what needs doing if you get my jist.

Your oil pressure sounds good to me, drive a steady 60mph and the pressure should also be roughly around 60 (gd little test).

The rumble should be detectable if you aim for a mild bump or divot in the road, aim one wheel at it and listen before the back hits it. Although the compression arms are usually not as constant as in that video (unless your one a really rough rubbly road?) so that makes me wonder what it might be (if anything else).

The noise in 1st and 2nd or probably 1st to 2nd, will be the flywheel, they clatter quite a bit and you can also hear it when depressing the clutch the noise should stop. Its all normal, just make sure its not groaning or whining. :thumbs:

Some more investigation into your rumble though, try the bump thing slowly to try and find the front or back wheels as the issue.

Edited by AMT

If you have a rattle at the rear get your head under the rear bumper and check the heat shield above the back box. Mine did this as the shield came loose on one side. The bolts holding it on either side just need taking out and re inserting with larger washers to clamp the shield nice and tight.

Edited by Zeezeebaba