Judder & steer wobble when hot.

Chris Wiltshire

Hello,

I recently fitted Z1 two piece rotors along with Stoptech pads and have noticed a lot of steering wobble and judder thats intermittent but mainly when the brakes are hot.

- Normal daily driving = fine smooth braking

- Fast driving with fast sharp braking = Fine smooth braking

- Fast driving with long braking such as coming up to a roundabout causes a lot of wobble for example going 80+ and applying the brakes gradually to come to a stop. I assume this type of braking builds up heat most?

Any suggestions what I could look for?

All wheels spin freely and don't seem to be catching etc..

I might try different pads on the front, would it be ok to run different pads on the front compare to the back if their similar compounds?

Its odd that its so intermittent, but that does sound very similar to having excessive runout on your discs. during gradual braking from above 40 or so do you get wobble through the steering wheel? If it is indeed you have warped or the discs were fitted incorrectly leading to them not being level then the only real fix is either a professional disc skimmer or new rotors.

• 4 months later...

pretty sure the disc is warped, when I spin the wheel the disc scrapes in a certain spot... I haven't had a good experience with them tbh because half the bolts on both rear discs snapped off after a month of driving!!!! I found out as a bolt head got stuck in the disc shield making a loud noise, after inspection about 9 bolt heads fell of in my hand..

The new sealed bolts they sent were slightly different so they must know of the problem to change bolts.

Kinda puts me off buying the final drive gears from them,

• 6 months later...

I've had this exact problem on mine. The cars only got 23000 miles, but I replaced pads and discs to find the judder still present.  I then found slight play in one of the drop links so replaced them both. The judder has completely gone at all speeds and temps. As someone else said about their tie rod being culprit, it seems our cars may be susceptible to judder if suspension components are worn.