replacing headlights

Spatt

Is there a "How to" remove headlight cluster (entire unit) and how to replace / re-align properly?

i got myself some new head lights in much better condition but before i wade in and start snapping things and making a mess thought i would get some advice

Matt

As above, you'll need to remove front bumper before the headlights. As far as i remember on the OEM headlights, the headlights are mounted to the car body and adjustments are done on the headlights itself hence reassembling should be easy. The connectors can be a PITA to remove, you'll need to press the tab before removing it but space constraint might make it awkward to press. I used a small flat head screwdriver to press the tab to release the connector.

To figure out exactly where the bolts are, check your new headlights for bolt holes/mounting position.

Also a good advise is to park it near a wall (leaving enough space in front to remove front bumper), switch on your headlight and mark you beam on the wall using masking tape. After you replace them, you can adjust to same level --> http://www.350z-uk.c...our-headlights/

Edited by veeg33

The connectors can be a PITA to remove

O...M...G... are they a PITA! I tried for ageeees until my friend came along and did it in under a minute per side. Made me feel like an idiot :lol:

Out of the stuff I've personally done, that connector, the connector under the trim by the handbrake and the white clips for the rear bumper have been the worst!

Oh and if it's a pre-facelift 350z you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it's 3 4 bolts - 2 from the front of the car, 1 from the side and 1 on top. As veeg33 said though, looking at your new headlights should give you the answer. :)

Edited by Hodaka
  • Like 1

thanks for all the help guys... i might bring the car to work tomorrow and have a go in the workshop after we finish..

my lights are fine but have strange cracking marks on the inside which obviously i cant get out

I got sick of polishing them only to find that the marks on the inside where still there every time. The fading / fogging came off easy each year i did them so not really i big deal. I just feel they really let the car down and wanted to get some 'cleaner' ones.. The new ones i bought still have a couple of marks on them but look a lot better.

I do intend to sell my old lamps as they are perfectly fine and in good working order its just i felt they really let the car down and wanted some cleaner ones. They might be ideal if someone wanted to have a go at stripping them down and polishing the inside maybe?