Upgrading OEM Throttle Body

jnoz

No before digits and now running long tube manifolds and custom exhaust and by the time I get to mapping will also be running 3.5" ibtake and maf.

Whether you believe American numbers or not, theyre dyno still accurately represent gains, the figures don't matter but the difference between them do and is relatable :)

And as ive said, even nissan identified the inlet/tb as a restriction hence doubled up on the hr :)

• Like 1

Some Pics at last

the parts - adapter plate, adapter loom and TB (excuse the grubbiness I bought a second hand one instead of brand new to keep costs down)

27705512314_f947260fd8_c.jpg2016-07-15_11-59-46 by ben taylor, on Flickr

all in place - stock intake pipe stretched over....just.

27714323103_e4f0d9aec2_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0041 by ben taylor, on Flickr

NWP's claims - note: not mine, Im just doing this as part of a puzzle to helping the VQ breathe as well as I can for now without ditching oem plenum. But my plate is very similar to theirs and only because importing a kit from NWP was ££££

27722006253_913b4cf665_c.jpg2016-07-16_07-25-26 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Hiccups discovered:

OEM bolts are too long, I cut them down but shorter ones would need to be used really.

28048297100_9c4a63ce78_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0013 by ben taylor, on Flickr

had to cut a water pipe off the TB - on the Z the pipes connect to the plenum, not the TB, so these are redundant anyway but rotating the TB slightly should hopefully avoid the need to do this

28296237906_6fdd1e758e_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0017 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Other than that Bob's your uncle and Fanny is a rude word. :D

• Like 1

Some Pics at last

the parts - adapter plate, adapter loom and TB (excuse the grubbiness I bought a second hand one instead of brand new to keep costs down)

27705512314_f947260fd8_c.jpg2016-07-15_11-59-46 by ben taylor, on Flickr

all in place - stock intake pipe stretched over....just.

27714323103_e4f0d9aec2_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0041 by ben taylor, on Flickr

NWP's claims - note: not mine, Im just doing this as part of a puzzle to helping the VQ breathe as well as I can for now without ditching oem plenum. But my plate is very similar to theirs and only because importing a kit from NWP was ££££

27722006253_913b4cf665_c.jpg2016-07-16_07-25-26 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Hiccups discovered:

OEM bolts are too long, I cut them down but shorter ones would need to be used really.

28048297100_9c4a63ce78_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0013 by ben taylor, on Flickr

had to cut a water pipe off the TB - on the Z the pipes connect to the plenum, not the TB, so these are redundant anyway but rotating the TB slightly should hopefully avoid the need to do this

28296237906_6fdd1e758e_c.jpgIMG-20160715-WA0017 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Other than that Bob's your uncle and Fanny is a rude word. :D

Looking awesome Ben how long before I can get my name down for one :)

On the nwp site the promo picture also I see a thermal tb spacer, however that's not mention in the plug n play uprated tb kit.

Another thing worth mentioning is on the nwp before and after graph it shows a stock DE making peak power at 5250rpm, 1k sooner than the ukdm engine?

Edited by davey_83

• "On the nwp site the promo picture also I see a thermal tb spacer, however that's not mention in the plug n play uprated tb kit."

That would not be difficult - Aramid insulated gasket sheet material is available in various thicknesses and can be found on EBay.

It's what Motordyne use, and I made up my own gaskets when fitting the H-Dev plenum spacer, for the throttle body, and between the lower plenum and manifold.

It has made a big difference to the plenum temperature. :)

II didn't take that many photos, but posted these on the H-Dev spacer group buy thread:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108925-h-dev-plenum-spacer-group-buy/page__st__60

I've also got a cold air intake, on which I am about to make the grille scoop bigger:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108701-air-intake/page__st__20

What did you want a photo of?

Imo thermal gaskets don't do a lot, I know the plenum gets hot but there's that much air rushing through at that high a speed it's not going to absorb that heat, in my opinion.

Good cold air supply to the filter will do far far more.

Veils idea the kit is done and fitted to my car, there's a thread in member traders

• Like 1

The plenum runs a lot cooler with the thermal gaskets.

I can now rest my hand on the Plenum without it burning.

I agree that a good cold air supply is required, and my next efforts will be to increase the inlet scoop area on my cold air intake.