Final drive and quaife diff mod

Chan267

I recently got the final drive fitted along with a quaife diff, southbend clutch and flywheel and what a difference it made to the car overall. The car revs so much quicker in every gear and I always think I am in a lower gear than what I am actually on which is the best way to describe the difference. 6th gear feels like 5th, 5th feels like 4th...you get the point. The car grips so well around corners and gives you even more confidence when you go on track, you see yourself going faster than before and car feels at home.

I do want to warn anyone planning to get this diff so bear in mind that its not a simple job, there is loads of hidden costs and work done to make them fit. Quaife themselves were not a great help as they were not sure on how to tackle the problems I had with the fitting, it was left to my trusted mechanic Andrew baird at automek to come up with his own solution which solved the problem. Anyone who wants to know then speak to Andrew and he will be happy to tell you what he did and what to buy or even better get him to fit it.

As for the final drive, due to the car revving faster than standard, the syncrorev throws up an error which switches the rev matching off and limits the power after 6000rpm in 3rd,4th,5th or 6th gear. This proved to be a massive stumbling block and caused many headaches and lots of testing to come up with a solution. If you are planning to upgrade the clutch,flywheel and install a final drive, you will have to map the car using ecutek as uprev has limitations and one of them is gear ratios.

I just want to thank Mark at abbeymotorsport and Andrew at automek to tackling the problem together and solving the problem. Nothing beats their service and doing whatever it takes to get the customers car sorted. I spoke to several companies that are ecutek dealers and they simply told me that they weren't interested in solving the issue and were not willing to give it a try.

Car feels great now and the issue has completely gone so I'm happy now, cannot wait to get back on track to test the car again.

Any questions about the mods above, I will be happy to answer them on here on via pm.

thanks

• Like 7

Ive recently been thinking about the 3.9 final drive on my 350z so what your thoughts really on it? You finding now you are using more fuel and the gear changes are far to often now?

I only ask as this seems to be what people are saying in america.

Also has is ur speedo now all out of sync and noisier to drive as its now at higher revs for a lower speed?

I have the quaife diff on my auto and it really transforms the car , i thought about altering the gearing back when I had the n/a car but understood it meant losing the CC which i couldnt do without

Fitting the quaife in the auto is a chore as well , you need different stub axles, nuts. bolts and washers (depending on year) new bearings , seals , possibly shims and then you have the oil and labout , not a cheap undertaking at all

I have a the quaife sat in my garage in a pumpkin ready to bolt up

Been wondering weather to sell it or fit it

After reading your thoughts I might try it again

Do you find the car wants to squirt sideways easily on corner exit more tho ?

Ive recently been thinking about the 3.9 final drive on my 350z so what your thoughts really on it? You finding now you are using more fuel and the gear changes are far to often now?

I only ask as this seems to be what people are saying in america.

Also has is ur speedo now all out of sync and noisier to drive as its now at higher revs for a lower speed?

I have the 4.08 final drive and I truly love it after the ecutek map it has on it but yet to see the real difference on track which will hopefully be next month. I have only recently got it back and fuel wise, I may have lost 20 miles to a full tank as the revs sit higher when doing cruising speeds on the motorway or city driving. Gear changes occur more often but I don't find it a problem using it as a daily driver. My syncrorev, speedo was out of sync but due to the new map, everything is back to normal. My initial fear of fitting a final drive was the grinding noise you hear but if you got an exhaust and full interior, you barely hear it compared to other cars that I have sat in like s2000 or exige.

Richf, it is not a cheap process of simply buying the diff and getting a garage to fit it because quaife don't have a specific diff for the 370z, its the 350z diff that they supply you. The car feels brilliant whilst going round bends as it simply grips and grips even more when you push it harder. There is simply no drama with the rear wheels or traction when cornering at speed now and once it grips, it doesn't let go till you want it.

Nissanman, you wont regret fitting the diff, if its ready to be fitted then I personally would say go for it. I have taken a few people out in my car, everyone says the same thing that you point the car in the direction you want it to go and it just grips regardless of what speed you are doing. I do have the apr wing on the back which creates a lot of downforce but the diff makes sure that there is little to no drama when attacking any corner at speed.

Didnt think the manual needed different stub axles etc and they are more straightforward to fit ?

The quaife does have its shortcomings though but i wouldn't entertain a fi car without some kind of aftermarket diff fitted, the stock lsd is hopeless

Edited by Richf

Yes mind needed stub axels or machined shafts just looked it up 1.7 inches to be exact quaife say

I felt like the car had a lot more oversteer with the quaife and not the extra grip you talk of

Infact I feel it contributed to me ditch finding lol

Maybe I just didn't get enough time with it :(

Comparing to stock VLSD take bit time to get used to it. Although i have it on my 350z and before i put Quife up i had VLSD which was fully operational i love it. Much more car is predictable specially in high speed corners is just pushing you to push pedal to floor as steering into corner becomes more direct with more power

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Comparing to stock VLSD take bit time to get used to it. Although i have it on my 350z and before i put Quife up i had VLSD which was fully operational i love it. Much more car is predictable specially in high speed corners is just pushing you to push pedal to floor as steering into corner becomes more direct with more power

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

So your saying the cars better for the quaife?

Yes mind needed stub axels or machined shafts

I felt like the car had a lot more oversteer with the quaife and not the extra grip you talk of

Infact I feel it contributed to me ditch finding lol

Maybe I just didn't get enough time with it :(

Yes i understand you need to cut one of the shafts diwn but around 20mm

I found the viscous diff was more prone to going sideways before gripping wheras the quaife hooks up almost instantly

Quaife themselves werent much help other than sending those exact diagrams that 20mm is needed to be cut off the shafts but certian other parts are required to make them fit, I cant remember exactly what it was but can find out for anyone?

I take my car on track quite alot in the past year and the 370z grips well round corners despite being heavy but when pushed at the limit, the rear wheels would struggle to keep up but now the quaife diff solves that problem and can carry that speed throughout the track.

I have stock , I did buy some whiteline bushes to fit if required but the stock ones offer reduced noise and vibration so I'll only fit them if/when the stock ones fail , as you know i do launch the car from time to time