VQ35HR Performance Modifications

AdamTSmith350

Wanting to start modifying the performance of my '08 plate GT, Wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help me along the way, with both product and manufacturers details, I am pretty new to the performance modifying scene so in layman's terms please.

Specifically any suggestions on the intake, manifold, exhause, but if you know of any other modifications please share.

Not looking to be cheap, but also not wanting to break the bank aha

Like i said its a gradual project, overall i wouldnt mind getting it to around 600+hp. Depending on the gains of the mod depends on how much i am willing to spend, if something comes up and i feel like i need it, ill get it. what suggestions do you have for starters?

There really is no gradual way to get to 600 bhp.

Absolutely pointless spending a few thousand pounds to get an extra 20 bhp with an NA set up.

So guess that twin turbo is the only way with a built engine so with supporting mods 25k should sort you out.

For that much power you're looking at turbo / SC and forged internals, which is big bucks. I'm not sure that adding an upgrade here and there is a good approach to that goal either, because if you want to end up with 600bhp it will be a comprehensive rebuild, so probably best to save up and do it all in one go.

Edit: beaten :p

Edited by BobbyZ

A Cosworth panel filter, Motordyne plenum spacer, Scorpion exhaust and Uprev got me to 300bhp. I think that's 30-40bhp over standard (apparently VQ35DE Z's kick out 260-270bhp from the factory)

That's about £2k there. Prices and tuners vary obviously.

I got a 2nd hand twin turbo kit for £3500. Fitting was about £2600 but included de-cat pipes and dyno tuning. 430bhp.

The kit would have been about £8k new which is about the going rate for a FULL kit. (Some kits offer basic components, others are a complete kit with EVERYTHING included)

Obviously, don't bother with Ebay kits going for 900 quid brand new.

600bhp you'll want a new bottom end built. Looking at least £4000 for parts and labour. Probably need bigger injectors than those which came with your turbo kit should you buy one. Maybe another 800 quid. New uprated clutch. £600 + fitting.

New brakes. £500 at least for uprated discs, pads and brake lines and better brake fluid. £2000 and up for big brake kit.

So, £16k (given your turbo kit is 2nd hand)

600+bhp you're looking at £20k plus. Probably not much change out of £25k.

There are a fair few Z's with circa 450hp which is probably the recommended max with a VQ35DE. HR, I'm not sure of their max. But I can't imagine it's much more.

Because getting over 450bhp and as much as 600bhp+ becomes expensive due to the engine rebuild and not many want to sink silly money into a relatively old and cheap car when they could buy something German with 500 or more Bhp or save a bit more and get an early GTR. Or buy an 800bhp R33GTR on piston heads with 10k left over from 25k.

But modified cars are good, for the enthusiast. It's more personal and the car really does become an extension of who you are. Grows with you, too.

Purists may say, go to race school first. Get some track time and tuition under your belt, decent tyres, brakes and weight reduction and suspension set up. Which is true, nothing will shave time off your laps like those I just listed will.

But for me, I have little interest in racing my Z. The feeling of power and acceleration is what I like. Sheer grunt and velocity. As a byproduct the sound becomes even more intoxicating and pedestrians in a city centre take note and look without you breaking 20mph. The VQ35 is a great sounding engine and with turbo's that gets even better. A choir of mechanical components making a symphony in the theatre of the road. That plus the Z is a beautiful car. Men and women love it.

All of the above are based on my experiences, finance and personal opinion.

So, armed with that information how do you feel about doing a Tom Hanks and getting the money pit underway?

Expensive, time consuming and very rewarding.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 4

Also I've heard in the older DE models a mrev2 and spacer was one way to get a cheeky few more horses. On the HR is this still the case or has that been resolved now..?

Yeah, only good for the DE because on the HR they sorted the intake side of things.

Very motivating! And almost got me getting a bank loan out! XD what is the most bhp I could get without going into the realms of turbos and supercharges..? And a rough cost..?

Exhaust, panel filters, dyno tune. Leave it at that for NA. Don't go seeking power with that.

If forced induction is too expensive for the 100s and 100s of horsepower it nets you then NA will certainly be too expensive for the 10s of horsepower that route will net you.

I heard somewhere that with NA it costs £1000 for every additional 10bhp.

TDI North fitted a stage 1 tune to an HR while I was there and they rolled out with 340 flywheel horsepower.

http://www.tdi-north.com/abbey-motorsport

Everyone is quite negative about NA tuning on this forum but with a HR to get ~40hp increase(according to US forums)

Panel filter

Motordyne ART decat pipes

True dual exhaust

Uprev tune

Done.

Not negative. Just realistic.

Americans tend to be a bit gung ho about figures.

"Damn bro I seen this one homie rocking some sick cams thing barely idles but dam it makes the power homez he was running close to 400 putting down 11s on streets"

So basically its, strap a turbo/sc on it, or its not really worth it..? With regards to Air filters, which would be the better option, replacing the exsisting with uprgaded or sitching to the cone shaped filters? i was looking at installing some 'Taked retain short ram intakes' or would i be best just installing 'K&N Drop-In Filter'

and with the exhasust would it have to be a true duel with fast flow cats?

If you install cone shaped filters you will be creating the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. as you will have a decrease in power.

Stick with the OEM boxes and decent air filters.

Might be a plan to go away for a few days and do it bit of reading as research is key.

Thats what this is, ide sooner ask you lot who know what your talking about rather than reading figures that at the min dont mean much to me. so why would one install the cone intakes if it lowers power?

You require to do proper research.

All you are doing on here is asking questions and when you get an answer, that answer triggers yet another question.

Unfortunately on forums, you are as much likely to get bad advice as you are good.

In answer to your last question. if you want to remain NA and not have a decrease in power then keep the OEM air boxes and fit good filters as dense air is what you are after.