DE vs HR Exhaust Backbox Any Difference ?

Zedrock

Hi

Sorry if this should have been in technical, still finding my way around the forum!

I did do a search too but couldn't find a similar query!

Just bought a second hand Milltek back box as was advertised as direct bolt on replacement, obviously it is not as looking at it the exit /entry pipe is in the centre of the box and the standard pipe curves around from the side and so points the other way!

I've noticed this is the case with many of the aftermarket systems and so makes sense that most are sold as either cat back or Y back.

I can't having done some research online find that Milltek have sold just the back box (which would make sense as it won't fit onto standard mid pipe) but the guy I bought off insists that he had it bolted on directly to his standard system and is saying that it probably won't fit my car as it is DE and his is HR (not mentioned in the ad either) having done more research online and looking at nissan part numbers for the back box I can't see that there was ever any difference between DE and HR back boxes ?

Am I correct?

Any help much appreciated as I don't want to argue the case on this point if I'am wrong !

Advert was not correct so I can send back by opening a case etc

Thanks in advance for any help on the technical bit

Cheers

Zedrock

IIRC the Y-pipe is different between DE and HR. Think centre pipe and back boxes are same. Bit may be wrong.

I know on the HR you generally have to remove the metal shroud around the diff to fit most aftermarket systems.

• Like 1

Thanks

From what I could find online it looked as tho the cats were different and possibly the Y pipe but other than as you say the heat shield issue the looks like a back box is a back box !

Faint whiff of BS from the seller methinks!

Zedrock

Edited by Zedrock

For that milltek you need the correct milltek centre pipe also is all, either that or get an exhaust shop to make you one up to suit your new rear silencer.

Ideally you should have double checked before hand.

• Like 1

hindsight and all that, guy had a good seller rating and said direct bolt on replacement so I had no reason to doubt him !

Thanks for the info that was the conclusion I'd come to , my local power flow guys not bad they made me a custom system for my old VW t25 which had a Subaru Legacy 2.5 in it and it came out well.

• Like 1

Thanks Kyle, that's the conclusion I'd come to, guy was apologetic and mentioned his was a Nismo car ! anyway all sorted and he's having the backbox back so all good.

Cheers to all for info too

I'm 99% certain he doesn't have a Nismo and even if he did, it'd still be the same exhaust, no idea why he wasn't selling the mid pipe along with the backbox, however, as it's useless with any other :shrug:

• Like 1