Supercharged VX220

Jetpilot

I do indeed have a SC VX, 240ish hp, Nitrons, 4pots, Milltek Exhaust. Amazing fun. Rebuilt mine mechanically over the winter, and very easy cars to work on, which is why i bought it. For pure driving pleasure, you will be hard pushed to find something that fast, and that involved for the money.

Clutches are abit of a pain to change, though last well. Being the 2.2 Ecotec, the engines are pretty bullet proof, though dont go much beyond 240-250hp without expecting the engine to fail. There are a few SC'd cars that come up for sale, but you maybe better buying a standard car, and playing with it yourself. There are a few people around that can SC them for you pretty cheap if you wanted to go down that route, or have a go yourself if your pretty handy. VX220.org is a really good forum, with some knowledgible people on there. Dont expect the same build quality as you get from a Zed, they are at different ends of the spectrum, you will probably play hunt the rattle at various points in your ownership. lol

Very sensitive cars to geo and set up, tyre pressures etc. Steering racks dont tend to last for ever, you can get them rebuilt, or buy brand new ones, both standard, and quick ratio, but they are £400+.

There is an issue with the rear subframe (steel), where it meets the back of the chassis (Ally). Basically, there is a steel shim in there, and that holds water, and you get galvanic corrosion, sometimes are worse than others, but its worth doing at some point if its not already been done. You will find some cars are Cat C-D, and mostly that is because the car had damaged clam shells, which make up the front and rear bodywork. These were very expensive when available, so wrote the car off with only some comestic damage to the fibreglass. Coldel was great with helping me buy mine.

• Like 4

Been looking on vx220.org and very informative site.

I am wondering why you dont see many at stage 3, obviously that requires a rebuild, but is that excessively costly or just 250 ish is generally seen as enough?

My son has a genuine Factory Turbo 220 that he has up for sale if you are interested....... drop me a PM if you are and I will put you in contact. I do believe its also been mapped.

Thanks for the offer but only toying with the idea at present and in all honesty i would prefer a supercharger.

That will be an animal on the track ..... :teeth: lot of money spent on that one ....... Hard to say no to it.... Well easy for me..... 2 metal knee joints, 3" steer bone in the spine and crumbling hip joint means there is not a cat in hells chance of getting into it.

Swap the seat out for something more comfortable?

2757_candy_armchair_1.jpg

• Like 1

That will be an animal on the track ..... :teeth: lot of money spent on that one ....... Hard to say no to it.... Well easy for me..... 2 metal knee joints, 3" steer bone in the spine and crumbling hip joint means there is not a cat in hells chance of getting into it.

Swap the seat out for something more comfortable?

2757_candy_armchair_1.jpg

More my style :teeth:

If you go for it, advise you go now, whilst we have a 'summer' ahead of us also prices tend to creep up as soon as the sun comes out...

Its a different experience, you trade away the relative comfort and ease of driving of a GT car for a brutally fast lightweight sports car. I actually used mine all the time, added a few creature comforts like upgraded head unit, fixed the heater, installed a lining to the roof section etc which once you are in the car, is an ok place to be. You just need to learn a whole new way of how to get in and out of a car ;)

• Like 1

If you go for it, advise you go now, whilst we have a 'summer' ahead of us also prices tend to creep up as soon as the sun comes out...

Its a different experience, you trade away the relative comfort and ease of driving of a GT car for a brutally fast lightweight sports car. I actually used mine all the time, added a few creature comforts like upgraded head unit, fixed the heater, installed a lining to the roof section etc which once you are in the car, is an ok place to be. You just need to learn a whole new way of how to get in and out of a car ;)

Don't know what you mean, SMD and I got in and out without a problem....... ;)

Roof on is a pain, roof off is simples. Once you are in and strapped up, its a great drive. That Harrop one would be a beast, lots of cash spent on it, and well worth 14k. Stage 2 SC cars are about 12ish, and that has had well over 2k extra spent on it.

Just been told on the forum a 350z is chav/hairdressers car, i am sure it was said tongue in check however.

I must admit and knowing myself, i think if i do go down this route, it would have to be something like the one i linked. Will see if there is anyone local to me with a stage 2 willing to take me for a spin.

Found the roof ok, roll half off, pull out the two struts, stick them into the middle of the roof lining, roll the rest up. In reverse its just getting the edge to clip in and it all unrolls nicely. And the roof rolled up fits nicely onto the shelf behind the seats :)

They are a bit weird on there, I dared to say when I first joined that prices were higher than I expected...as you can imagine they went mental so tongue in cheek I said 'well its just a scrubbed out chassis' and of course the abuse started. One guy called me an effing this and that and told me to eff off...I then met him days later at a meet and he bricked himself, just walked up and shook him firmly by the hand and referenced his post, was a short fat pale skinned nerd with big framed glasses, if there was ever a stereotype of an internet keyboard warrior he was one. :lol: but there are some good guys on there, if Cliffe is still on it he is gold standard, I listened a lot to him!

Think about what you want from the car as I'd never want to drive my Elise every day in all weather conditions. It's not an uncomfortable drive, it just gets awkward for daily use and mine hates crawling around in slow moving traffic.

The one you listed, has the central feed fuel tank, a definite must have for track use as these were famous for fuel cutting during hard cornering and fuel starvation where it collected on the side of the tank where the feed was not!