How much hp is too much for the road?

martybhoy

Right guys im throwing this question out there. What would you say the cutoff for actual usable horsepower on the road is.

I should explain, whilst talking with friends at japfest, the topic of what amount of horsepower can you use and enjoy whilst on a road trip/drive through some twisty country roads.

At which point do you have soo much power, that you have either not enough length or road to go through 2/3 gears, or simply have to slow because you're on the verge of imprisonment?

I know some will say theres never too much but thought it would be a good discussion topic to see your thoughts.

might wanna consider power to weight rather than just horsepower... 600bhp in a 500bhp caterham is probably a bit much, but in a 2 tonne Bentley you might want more.

anywhos, i'd have thought around 300bhp per tonne is ample. i'd say the main limitations to how much power you can have are how much grip you have - if tcs is flashing every time you put your foot down, and you can only use full throttle when you're already doing 100mph, its probably too much!

• Like 1

I think it's just what you get used to. I was a bit heavy footed when I bought the zed then calmed down.

Now have the same issue with the skyline.

Road use I'm gonna throw in 600bhp. Just for the craic.

• Like 2

I've ridden 300hp plus bikes and have mates with 500hp plus ones . they are all still usuable and fun but the more power you have the less opportunity you have to use it

• Like 1

average 1.5 tonne sports/gt car, 450bhp would be enough as a starting point.

but really, how long is a piece of string? so many other factors to consider, weather conditions, car chassis, driver skill, tyres...

Yeah, lets be honest though, we're not going to be putting down the right foot in pouring rain etc.

I reckon 300-350bhp is a good usable amount for a 1.5 tonne car that is properly maintained with good tyres and in dry weather.

Numbers are all well and good, but you have to think about putting that power down, not just smoking the wheels sitting still.

Yes hence the phrase "You can never have too much power but you can have insufficient traction "

have mates with 500hp plus ones . they are all still usuable and fun but the more power you have the less opportunity you have to use it

Geez! That must be like 2000hp per ton? Sounds like too much for me lol

450hp in my Z is more than manageable. Very civilised and rarely breaks traction unless I want it to (rev. Clutch) on MPSS'. Can really throw it around.

That gives me the 300bhp/ton you're talking of and I feel confident the chassis/traction can handle way more.

450hp in my Z is more than manageable. Very civilised and rarely breaks traction unless I want it to (rev. Clutch) on MPSS'. Can really throw it around. It feels very point and squirt.

That gives me the 300bhp/ton you're talking of and I feel confident the chassis/traction can handle way more.