One [first] mod to rule them all!

Rhino

Alright gents,

I'm going all out for my first mod at the end of this week and it's going to be a full exhaust system. I think i'm pretty set on a Powerflow straight pipe set up due to the fact that it's stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty.

Firstly, has anyone had any experience with Powerflow and are they a good option?

Secondly, what build should I go for If i am looking for performance increase and the loudest exhaust on planet earth? Bearing in mind it needs to pass an MOT in august :lol:

Also Is there a big difference between dual catbacks rather than having them split at a Y pipe or not?

I'll try and get a before up on YouTube for the end of this post.

Appreciate the feed back in advance,

Rhino

Edited by Rhino

I like the sound of the single "3 pipe from the manifolds but i'd like to keep the twin exhaust look at the back! Is there a big difference in performance between the OEM system and a custom built set up that doesn't merge at all?

Haha not scared Keyser but you have just made me realise that I also want to hear my radio inside of the car! I'll definitely get race cats then. How about Powerflow themselves, any good?

Edited by Rhino

Powerflow are a bit hit or miss, it depends what/who they have available on the day. If they're going to use a lot of 90 degree bends, walk away. The z system isn't too complicated, so you should be ok, however I've heard much better things about Longlife if there's one near you. Powerflow in Slough were ok when I used them, but I did have to go back for welds to be fixed twice.

You could get a buddyclub exhaust for around 700, they're loud but still sound decent. Don't forget that noise for the sake of it doesn't sound great, the z's get very raspy. There was a guy on here with a convertible Z who was always going for more and more noise, it sounded absolutely terrible. As in, I'd rather put my head in a blender than follow his car for any period of time.

Haha not scared Keyser but you have just made me realise that I also want to hear my radio inside of the car! I'll definitely get race cats then. How about Powerflow themselves, any good?

These cars are capable of being extremely loud... if that's what you want, however with a system as loud as you're describing you'll never hear your radio! ;)

Something like an ark true dual or invidia gemini (or many others cobras scorpions etc) will give you the dual look you're after, and when coupled to decats or HFCs will be plenty loud enough for most people, but whilst maintaining the lovely tone of the V6... personally that's what I'd aim for...

Another option are the japspeed boxes, if you really want loud, get a non-resonated japspeed :thumbs: But again, these are super loud!!

Also just be weary that your car may not pass the MOT with decats, just worth baring in mind... Although HFCs should be fine if the car is warm when tested so it'd be worth getting to know your MOT guy in advance, they also make the exhaust considerably louder than stock cats and a bit more "fruity" ;)

What other options would you guys suggest? I don't want it stupid loud, i'd like to be able to do a long journey without putting my head in a blender! I'm after a deep muscle car like tone rather than a high pitched race sound. I'd also pick performance over how it sounds anyway.

Have a look/listen around on youtube and see which sound takes your fancy. Beating that see if there are any members local to you that wouldn't mind letting you listen to their set-ups.

There are also pages and pages of discussion on here about the sounds of each exhaust, but it ultimately comes down to personal taste :thumbs: (although performance wise there is very very little in it to be honest, besides a better sounding exhaust will make it "feel faster" anyway :) )

To get the ball rolling have a search around on youtube with some decent headphones and listen to some recordings.. cobra, scorpion, ark true dual, invidia gemini, japspeed, agency power to name a few...

What other options would you guys suggest? I don't want it stupid loud, i'd like to be able to do a long journey without putting my head in a blender! I'm after a deep muscle car like tone rather than a high pitched race sound. I'd also pick performance over how it sounds anyway.

What's your budget then Rhino?

Video below of my old 2003 350 Zed with an Invidia Gemini true dual stainless steel exhaust system (around £900) and Berks De-Cats (around £160). Bear in mind it was also supercharged but gives you some idea of the exhaust sound still. ;)

Outside sound of my Zed recorded by a member on here at a Castle Combe track day I was on (from about 13 seconds on & you can really hear it nicely when I go full throttle up the straight).

Personally though one of the nicest exhaust set ups for the 350 Zed imo is the Motordyne TDX with Art pipes. :cloud9: It's what I would get if I could do it again.

Had to do it in two separate posts otherwise I couldn't have posted this video as well. ;)

Thank you all for the input so far, I was so set on a Powerflow but the more I read the more i'm swayed into getting a tried and tested catback!

@GMballistic

I've just had an ear-gasmn.

Both sound absolutely epic but I do like the lower growl of the Invidia Gemini.

My budget is £1000 however I need more than just the catback as I have a crack in my Y-Pipe :'(

would it be worth getting new headers and everything too?

Unfortunately motordyne is slightly out of budget then :(

If your budget is £1000 then there's no point in changing the headers too IMO as they'll just eat up your budget.. although they will alter the sound slightly and maybe add a couple more hp (after a tune) they are a very expensive way to go about it, and to most people, not really worth the cash

The invidia is a great sounding exhaust and with HFCs ought to be plenty loud enough for you :) Although it may be a squeeze on the old budget getting both the cat back and a new y-piece.

To get an idea for costings have a browse through the tarmacsportz website and torqen, cougarstore etc as they are all traders on here then maybe drop them a pm on here to see if they can sort you out! :teeth:

Thank you all for the input so far, I was so set on a Powerflow but the more I read the more i'm swayed into getting a tried and tested catback!

@GMballistic

I've just had an ear-gasmn.

Both sound absolutely epic but I do like the lower growl of the Invidia Gemini.

My budget is £1000 however I need more than just the catback as I have a crack in my Y-Pipe :'(

would it be worth getting new headers and everything too?

New exhaust manifolds (headers) are a PITA to fit fyi and unless you're doing it yourself can cost a fair bit to do. In fact a lot of people that I've heard of having manifolds fitted have done it at a time when their engine was out of the car as it's so much easier then.

Fairly minimal gains to be made from having them done too although definitely better than OEM manifolds.

This below is a picture of the OEM exhaust system....

3714160.gif

The standard system runs in this order from the engine:

Exhaust manifolds > Cats > Y-pipe > Mid section > Back box.

If you bought the Invidia Gemini system for example it is a Cat to back true dual system so would join on to your existing OEM Cats and then run the whole way to the back. Thus eliminating your cracked OEM Y-pipe.

I'd definitely consider replacing your Cats whilst you're doing the exhaust system but you have two options really with that:

• HFC's AKA High Flow Cats AKA Sports Cats ~ These will give improved performance over the OEM Cats (when mapped to suit) & an improvement in sound.
  • De-Cats AKA Test pipes ~ These will give an even better performance improvement than the HFC's (when mapped to suit) & an even louder improvement in sound. These are also cheaper than the HFC's to buy.

The downside with both those options though is that unlike the standard Cats you will fail the MOT emissions test for definite with De-Cats and it's touch & go that you will pass with the HFC's. My old Zed passed the MOT emissions test no problem with the Berks HFC's I had fitted but I know other members with an identical exhaust setup have failed in the past.

You can get around this one of two ways ~ either you are friendly with the MOT guy ;) ;) or you put the OEM Cats back on for your MOT each year which some people do but I'd personally find that a PITA. :thumbs:

That Motordyne is a beast, i'd love to throw that money at it but I need to buy a house at some stage :lol:

Ok so new cats and catback it is, for some reason I had in my head that the cats were after the Y-Pipe (derp)

Not liking the sound of potentially failing MOT's, my luck with cars and MOT's is bad enough :dry:

I just found this by Buddy Club, are they any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUDDY-CLUB-NISSAN-350Z-Z33-TWIN-PRO-SPEC-MUFFLER-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-Y0168-/281294391537?hash=item417e73c8f1:g:diUAAOxyhXRTMXRp

That Motordyne is a beast, i'd love to throw that money at it but I need to buy a house at some stage :lol:

Ok so new cats and catback it is, for some reason I had in my head that the cats were after the Y-Pipe (derp)

Not liking the sound of potentially failing MOT's, my luck with cars and MOT's is bad enough :dry:

I just found this by Buddy Club, are they any good? http://www.ebay.co.u...iUAAOxyhXRTMXRp

Yeah failing the MOT can be a pain so I'd say if you change the Cats then stick to HFC's as that will be your best chance of still passing the MOT emissions test at least. A lot of people recommend driving the car before the test to get the Cats nice & hot.

Also best keep your OEM Cats just in case you need them or decide to go back to standard.

I've no experience of the Buddy Club exhaust system so can't comment sorry.

Have a look what some of the professional traders on here can offer you is my advice as usually you won't find better prices for Zed parts than from them. ;)

All can be found here: http://www.350z-uk.c...sional-traders/

Although most have their own websites online. For example ~ Tarmac Sportz website: http://www.tarmacspo...b1-1dede1281030

And the Torqen website: http://www.torqen.uk...exhaust-systems

Just get pally with your local MOT guy and it'll be fine, if you explain to him you have hfc's too (and he's a decent chap) he'll make sure the engine is warm before he gets the emissions readings and they should be passable :thumbs:

But as GMballistic said keep hold of your old ones just in case, and it doesn't take too long to change them over each year :)

Edited by Gus-350z

Thanks for all of the great feedback, just another from question from myself. What's the difference between the Invidia Gemini and N1 catback systems? @Jetpilot, I also need a Y-Pipe otherwise I would bid!

Edited by Rhino

Thanks for all of the great feedback, just another from question from myself. What's the difference between the Invidia Gemini and N1 catback systems?

Firstly the Invidia Gemini is a "true dual" system ~ this means basically that it joins straight on to your OEM Cats (or HFC's or De-Cats for that matter) and has two individual pipes running all the way to the back box. Even at the back box it continues with individual back boxes (welded together) for each exhaust side of the engine. It is a true Cat-back system also.

The Invidia N1 although it states "Cat-back" it actually joins on to your OEM Y-pipe (or after market Y-pipe). So in reality is pretty much just a centre section & back box. It uses a single pipe which then splits at the rear to divert exhaust gases to two separate back boxes.

Although I know the Invidia Gemini system is around £200 more than the N1 if you factor in the cost of possibly having to get a new Y-pipe with the N1 then if yours is in need of replacing then the Invidia will cost you slightly less (unless you buy a used Y-pipe of course).

It's a personal preference thing but I prefer the Gemini as that's what I had on my Zed & I wanted a true dual system. Others though may prefer the sound from the N1. ;)

That clears so much up GMBallistic so thank you! I am really drawn to the sound of the N1 for some reason. What Y-Pipes should I look at if I take that route? I found this on Ebay by Toyosport http://www.ebay.co.u...xIAAOxyOMdS5ljH

Are they any good as a manufacturer and would that go well with the Invidia N1?

Edited by Rhino