How to ~ Windscreen glass chip repair

GMballistic

Thought I'd just write a short guide on windscreen glass chip repair using one of the commonly available kits as below.

002_zps0mc0w9eu.jpg

Link to the kit I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windscreen-Repair-Kit-DIY-Chip-Window-Screen-Crack-Polishing-Scratches-Glass-/172164432185?hash=item2815ccc139:g:Us8AAOSwAvJXC6c9

Other kits are available though.

These kits are a great cheap way of fixing cracks and chips easily, helping to stop them from spreading & worsening on your windscreen (as they can when the weather gets cold with moisture trapped in the crack).

Notes before you begin:

• Avoid using the kit in direct sunlight ~ work in a slightly shaded area if possible.
  • Do not work on a hot windscreen ~ park the vehicle in a shaded area & open windows to help cool glass.
  • A razor blade is used at times which is extremely sharp so care should be taken.
  • Do not let the windscreen glass resin come into contact with painted surfaces & avoid skin/eye contact ~ nitrile gloves or similar are advised as well as safety glasses when handling the resin.

This is what you will get in the kit...

007_zpsmlanqyhi.jpg

From top left to bottom right.

1. Plastic syringe with spring clip attachment.
  2. Windscreen glass repair resin bottle.
  3. Curing film sheets.
  4. Razor blade.
  5. Pedestal.
  6. Adhesive seals.
  7. Not pictured ~ instruction sheet.

Below is the "star" type chip in my windscreen that I'm attempting to repair.

Due to the nature of this type of chip there will still be some cracking in the windscreen visible after the repair as it is in the centre of the glass underneath where the resin cannot penetrate but I'm trying to stop further damage as well as make it look better which this type of repair will achieve.

009_zpssejo2brn.jpg

*First thing you will need to do is wipe the glass (do not use chemicals - just a paper towel) and clean out any glass debris from the damaged area by using a pin or similar pointed implement.

010_zpssxrzmrjk.jpg

*Now you need to attach one of the adhesive seals to the windscreen. Peel off the backing on one side and place the adhesive seal with the tab pointing upwards with the crack/damaged area in the centre of the seal.

Once in place ensure a good seal by gently running your fingers around the seal.

011_zps6agrdolw.jpg

*Remove the red top side backing from the adhesive seal. Next line up the pedestal to the adhesive seal lining up the tabs. When in place run your fingers around the pedestal to ensure a tight seal.

012_zpsixn3ffo8.jpg

*Next you will need to cut off the tip from the windscreen glass repair resin bottle. I advise you do this well away from your car, pointed away from your face & whilst wearing some gloves just to be extra careful.

You will then need to put approximately 5-6 drops of the resin down the pedestal pipe. This can be difficult as there will be air trapped in there also plus the bottle I had wasn't exactly "squeezable".

Wipe off any excess from the pedestal & bottle.

015_zpslcmiiku7.jpg

*You now need to connect the syringe to the pedestal. Make sure you do this with the plunger all the way down.

Hold the syringe with one hand and with the other gently pull up the plunger locking it in place at the lower notch (furthest one) by twisting the plunger around as you pull upwards. This creates a vacuum effect.

Now leave it like that for a minimum of 10 minutes.

018_zpsquuftcot.jpg

*After 10 minutes or so has past remove the syringe from the pedestal and allow some air into it. Then replace the syringe onto the pedestal and this time gently push down the plunger & lock it in place at the second notch (as pictured close up below).

Leave it like that now for 20 minutes.

022_zpsj61cppzu.jpg

023_zpssmikdbzd.jpg

*After this you can now remove the syringe completely and using the razor blade remove the pedestal from the windscreen glass. Best way to do this is to start at the top by the tab, go around the edges & then simply peel away with your fingers.

Wipe off & remove any excess resin.

024_zps9ctgojn6.jpg

*The next step is to fill any of the remaining pit/crack.

With one of the curing films at the ready use the glass repair resin again to put a drop or two of resin directly onto the effected area of the windscreen glass. Then place the curing film directly on top and use the razor blade to push out any air bubbles to the sides.

Now with your car parked in direct sunlight (UV rays cure the resin) you will need to leave this as it is for 15 minutes on a sunny day or up to an hour on a hazy or dull day.

026_zps57cfqsoe.jpg

*Once the time has passed you simply need to remove the curing film by lifting off and remove any excess cured resin by using the razor blade. Job done. ;)

Below is how mine looked afterwards.

029_zpse0ci1xng.jpg

Still there but a noticeable improvement imo. Hope this helps and thanks for reading. :thumbs:

• Like 6

The finished article look is not too important as long as it doesn't allow the chip to form a crack. :)

Thanks veilside that's what I'm hoping.

I've never had a chip turn into a crack in one of my windscreens before but why take the risk at under a fiver for the kit. ;)

Great write up GM, i need to do this as well! Very small chip on the driver side (not in line of vision) job for the summer!

Thanks Iwan.

Definitely worth doing before the winter months if you've a cracked or chipped windscreen. Basically a 45 minute job max really. :thumbs:

Good job.

Do the wipers pass over that area. If so, do they leave a streak or pass cleanly over?

Thanks. :)

Yes the passenger side wiper does pass over that area and I'm happy to report it leaves no streaks, doesn't judder or anything else.

After I finished the repair I ran my finger over the glass where the repair is and you can't even feel anything. ;)