Drivetrain upgrades

tmJak

Hello again everyone.

i've just got the money together and thinking of getting these upgrades, but as i'm absolutely useless with mechanics and a bit thick, i just wanted to throw the upgrades past you before i fork out the ££Â£'s.

my clutch needs replacing anyway, as there's a rattle on idle, and i'm pretty much settled on a JWT lightweight flywheel and clutch, but was also thinking of getting the 3.9 final drive. there isn't much info on the final drives on here and wondered if there's a reason no-one seems to interested in them. do these upgrades sound like a good idea? (i'm not planning f/i at the moment and my baby's a manual)

thanks in advance :thumbs:

maybe so, but the car's done nearly 40,000 miles now. i took it for a service with TDi-north who first heard the rattle (i couldn't hear it before it was pointed out!!!) i wanted a new lightweight flywheel anyway and it'd be a shame to waste labour costs.

I'd go exedy with a lightened fly wheel, watch those revs drop like a brick of a cliff!!!
+1, i dont think a lot of people do that mod as it requires a lot of labour to fit one, so best left until it needs replacing.

I had one on my MG and i loved it, the response was amazing and the car felt like it revved a lot more freely :thumbs:

just keep in mind the JWT is probably the loudest aftermarket flywheel out there.

Not a hard part to fit at all...takes a few hours (trans comes out) - huge rewards, especially with the 3.9 final drive.

BTW - we have 1 x 3.9 final drive and 1 x 4.08 final drive in stock :) And several ACT flywheels (streetlight and prolight) - which is our flywheel of choice - 1 piece, billet chromoly, so it can be resurfaced down the road if needed (the JWT and others require you to unrivet the friction ring and then reinstall a new one). Both very very popular mods here for naturally aspirated Z's

Who is that in your avatar? :teeth:

i wish i knew (no offence missus if you ever reads this). . . obviously got right to use the pic :blush:

i've got a quote that i'm happy with for the fitting so think i'll go ahead with that. just need to decide about the final drive. . .

I'd go exedy with a lightened fly wheel

The JWT clutch is exedy, without the name and cheaper. i'm thinking JWT flywheel as they come as a combo deal. what type of noise does the JWT flywheel make? some noises can be good :thumbs:

I think the weight of the flywheel is meant to help keep the motor spinning for a smoother drive when doing things like coming off the throttle, but obviously it takes effort to get it going. With a lighter one, I beleive the ride isnt quite as smooth, but as its lighter its easier for the engine to spin and hence it revs quicker :thumbs:

Faster gearchanges! Is a short-shifter a good idea with a lighter flywheel?

from what i've read, a stumpier gear knob would be as beneficial as a short shifter, and easier to install and use. think this would be more useful really with the 3.9 final drive, as i'd need to do another gearchange before reaching 60mph, and 2nd gear would top out in the late 50's.

Faster gearchanges! Is a short-shifter a good idea with a lighter flywheel?

if you want a faster gearchange.................... buy an auto............ :thumbs:

Yeah right!!!!

you cannot change gear faster than an auto................ :)