Went on a skid pan today. great fun

Nigelp

After me having a few sideways moments in the Z, my wife mentioned that she had no idea what to do in the event of a skid. I spoke to afriend who had similar experiences with his wife and he recommended a place in Tockwith (Near York). They have a skidpan, RWD cars and offer introduction to car control, including understeer, oversteer, powersliding, recovery etc.

I booked Louise on a course and we went today.

DSC_7741Medium.jpg

It is a purpose built skidpan, covered in oil, diesel and rain. VERY SLIPPY !!!.

They use old cars, this one had been in service 5 weeks, usually, they last between 3 and 5 weeks, when the police use the skidpan, they go through around 8 per week :whistle: The cars drive fine and although look very very tatty, are ideal for the job :thumbs:

The instructor took Lou out for 5 minutes or so, showing the basics, then she took to the wheel :D INITIALLY, she was very tentative and too slow, that lasted only a few minutes and she had her first sideways moment, then they came more often...

DSC_7492Medium.jpg

DSC_7623Medium.jpg

DSC_7971Medium.jpg

She was having great fun.

DSC_7616Medium.jpg

DSC_7558Medium.jpg

DSC_7711Medium.jpg

Matthew went along for a ride

DSC_7746Medium.jpg

DSC_7755Medium.jpg

whoops...

DSC_7462Medium.jpg

I even had a go for 10 mins :thumbs:

DSC_7928Medium.jpg

DSC_7755Medium.jpg

Fantastic experience, well worth it. :thumb: We are going again for another go in the summer :D

£50 for an hour, which is enough, they do offer 2hr for £85, but to be honest, I think thats too long.

She was exhausted after 1 hour !!. really seemed to get a lot done in that hour if you understand what I mean? not one of those that you look back and say "blimey, where did the time go?", it seemed plenty long enough. :thumbs:

Biggest thing I learned? when its sliding, dont mash the throttle to keep it drifting, I only had 10 mins at the end, but on my next to last lap, I had a great looong drift, modulating light throttle all the way round the corner with the back hanging out, I was really pleased with myself :D

As you can see, if you do come off and hit the tyres, it doesnt matter, the cars are so battered after a month, they change them, so you are not as apprehensive about bending it.

How much? Looks like fun :bounce:

especially in a Lambo :p

Hey, we ought ought to book the place for half a day and see who can drift the furthest (and with style). :teeth:

Would need some handicap for the 'professionals' to give us novices a chance :blush:

Fun aside, any driver training you can have is a good thing & may save your or someone else's life one day. :D

A team of us from one of the NZ clubs, instructed groups of novice drivers, all of them were extremely grateful & went away having learned valuable lessons in a safe environment without learning a parent or siblings bad habits. This is a properly sanctioned handling skills school, and we were teaching them skid training, accident avoidance, awareness of what's happening around you, awareness of what the car you're driving will do, etc, etc, etc.

Okay, serious hat off now. ;)