Plenum Spacer?

Space Cadet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plenums and spacers are amongst the best NA mods you can do :)

Only issue will be the ECU reverting back and compensating all gains you had with it, after a while :) But for that you could get a UTEC and get rid of the issue once and for all :)

Thanks, not sure if I read that correctly - do you mean get the spacer and then the UTEC as well, i.e. to keep the gains or get the UTEC instead.

Is the UTEC the one advertised on the other thread by WRC?

It mentioned may be not being able to use the strut-brace and engine cover, is this correct (UK 54 Coupe).

Thanks

for the spacers: there's a couple of companies that do them IIRC. One does 2 types of spacers: one where you can re-use the strut bar, and a taller one where you won't.

With regards to the aftermarket plenums (which I would recommend instead of the spacer) the V+ from Kinetix will allow you to use the strut bar, and I think it's the only one which will allow you to do it.

As per my UTEC comment, it means that:

once you are finished with modding, in NA version, then it's time to do something about the ECU (at this time, since you need to tune the car. So if you add other stuff, you'll have to re-tune) as otherwise the standard ECU is known to revert back to stock settings and compensate over any gains you might have got with your mods.

The UTEC is the Engine Management System we are currently trying to organise the event for (see my Signature for thread) and we need the last car to get Jermaine over here and tune our cars.

What you see on WRC thread is the Unichip piggyback solution, which IMO is nowhere near as good a solution as the UTEC (and costs about the same)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, have had a look at the Kinetix V+, is this alright to use with the standard bottom, from the pictures the standard top looks to have loads of 'cones' underneath it with bolts through the middle to attach to the bottom whereas the V+ doesn’t??

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I think it’s a bit of a grey area, I had the plenum and cats on for a while and everything was as when I fitted them. The next step would be to have a re-map and what with the cats and plenum probably another 15 bhp, probably 30-40 bhp in total!!!, but IMO its not necessary.

I'm afraid it a well known fact, proven by many dynos that gains without doing anything to the ECU from breathing mods are minimal.... one Italian 350Z club member with similar mods to mine had a wideband reading of 20% richer on one bank and 22% richer on the other one..... all ECU's fault.

the ECU doesn't go into limp mode but keeps enriching the AF mixture, thus limiting gains extensively.

cheers lads, I'm just wanting to check more things out about it. I mean its going to effect my insurance (well I have to change companies it would seem) plus I'm not sure of the gains - at least it runs rich instead of lean!

With the mods and no remap (not looking for major power gains as if I sell my bike I am buying a supercharge) do you find it feels any different? I know you said top end but does the extra flow make the car feel it has more response through the range?

theoretically, yes (and also dynos proves this)

BUT (and especially if you are going SC in the future) I'd strongly advise you (to get the best out of all your mods, including the SC which if you want to exploit properly, you should tune anyway) too look for EMS solutions :)

Guest prescience
I'm afraid it a well known fact, proven by many dynos that gains without doing anything to the ECU from breathing mods are minimal.... one Italian 350Z club member with similar mods to mine had a wideband reading of 20% richer on one bank and 22% richer on the other one..... all ECU's fault.

the ECU doesn't go into limp mode but keeps enriching the AF mixture, thus limiting gains extensively.

This richening will be happening when the ECU is in OPEN LOOP mode i.e from about 80% throttle; primarily the MAF detects more airflow and more fuel is injected as a safety precaution - negating the top end gains.

In CLOSED LOOP mode (in the low and mid-range), the ECU achieves stochiometric (think that's the word) balance of 14.7 AFR using feedback (hence OPEN LOOP) from the O2 sensors constantly perforimig fuelling adjustments many times a second. But at a given RPM, you are flowing more air and this will achieve more power (all in balance).

This richening will be happening when the ECU is in OPEN LOOP mode i.e from about 80% throttle; primarily the MAF detects more airflow and more fuel is injected as a safety precaution - negating the top end gains.

In CLOSED LOOP mode (in the low and mid-range), the ECU achieves stochiometric (think that's the word) balance of 14.7 AFR using feedback (hence OPEN LOOP) from the O2 sensors constantly perforimig fuelling adjustments many times a second. But at a given RPM, you are flowing more air and this will achieve more power (all in balance).

:lol: and in english please :headhurt:

• 7 months later...

Anyone knows this?

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/350Z.asp

They have some special stuff for the 2006 model which is supposed to give you even more hp/torque, if combined with a spacer.

Anyone experience with this? Any idea what it costs on this side of the ocean?

Btw, i asked about this self-adjusting ecu stuff @ the Nismo supplier. He never heard anything about it :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
So would it be best to get the spacer or the Kinetix plenum?

There isnt much of a difference in the price.

Also would you need to use a cai to compliment ?

only $200 difference :lol:

the 350Z-tech.com group buy on a plenum spacer is for $165 delivered... put your name down ;)