Plane lands short of heathrow runway

steve_b

Before it was trashed

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1271968/L/

just another theory fuel starvation, not the first time BA have had to land a plane in an emergency because short of fuel. They had to land a 747-400 at Manchester a few years ago because it could not make Heathrow on a flight from L.A :scare:

As the current story is that the tower weren't aware of a problem I'd say it wasn't a fuel shortage. They'd of radioed it in well before reaching the airport.

Here’s a thought that crossed my mind. These planes are all fly-by-wire right? So total loss of power on approach to airport would leave them with no ability to turn or alter the angle of the flaps. Am I wrong or would they still have partial control over the tail or something? Either way they would drop like a brick without the ability to maintain landing speed.

Before it was trashed

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1271968/L/

just another theory fuel starvation, not the first time BA have had to land a plane in an emergency because short of fuel. They had to land a 747-400 at Manchester a few years ago because it could not make Heathrow on a flight from L.A :scare:

As the current story is that the tower weren't aware of a problem I'd say it wasn't a fuel shortage. They'd of radioed it in well before reaching the airport.

Here’s a thought that crossed my mind. These planes are all fly-by-wire right? So total loss of power on approach to airport would leave them with no ability to turn or alter the angle of the flaps. Am I wrong or would they still have partial control over the tail or something? Either way they would drop like a brick without the ability to maintain landing speed.

They must have power reserves for hydraulics and electrics no?

Think Boeing still prefer the Hydraulic method, Airbus tend to be more Fly by wire. Even with power failure i would of thought that there would be an auxillary power backup for the essential controls.

What about a double engine birdstrike?? :scare:

Think Boeing still prefer the Hydraulic method, Airbus tend to be more Fly by wire. Even with power failure i would of thought that there would be an auxillary power backup for the essential controls.

Sure I saw something only the other day from a pilot whingeing that the chances of more than one engine failing at the same time were infinitesimal. Hmmm. :dry:

Sure I saw something only the other day from a pilot whingeing that the chances of more than one engine failing at the same time were infinitesimal. Hmmm. :dry:

He his probably right but you never know, i think a double engine birdstrike is possible, especially if you have a look at this pic. :scare:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0 ... id=0652327

He his probably right but you never know, i think a double engine birdstrike is possible, especially if you have a look at this pic. :scare:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0 ... id=0652327

Jebesus! Thats a lot of birds!

Gosh, what a shame there wasn't a man flying, I'm sure he would have been able to do a few barrel rolls before landing it safely on the tarmac then nipping home to put some shelves up! :lol:

Well said, nice to see our abilities are appreciated. I'd like to say I'm so talented I can shag my missus whilst putting a shelf up, but I can't put a shelf up in two minutes.

Gosh, what a shame there wasn't a man flying, I'm sure he would have been able to do a few barrel rolls before landing it safely on the tarmac then nipping home to put some shelves up! :lol:

Well said, nice to see our abilities are appreciated. I'd like to say I'm so talented I can shag my missus whilst putting a shelf up, but I can't put a shelf up in two minutes.

:blush::lol:

Seems according to Pilot chatter I've heard that most likely cause is a catastrophic engine failure during approach, strange to effect both engines though. If failure had occurred earlier at any greater height then likely they would be diverted to another airfield so a last minute event is probable especially as no announcement had gone out to those on board.

Certainly by now the investigators will know what caused it.

Certainly that plane or its parts will be used again.