Is my battery shot?

SwissZ

Hi

Due to naff weather for the last couple of months I didn't get chance to drive my Z. First time I tried starting it, it only just made it, turning over really slowly to begin with. I took it for a good hours run to get some charge in and after that it seemed ok again. I'm now noticing if I leave it for a few days, it will start, but not instantly like normal.

Also the volts seem all over the place, sometimes up at just over 14, sometimes 13 and if I just switch on the ignition without starting it's a mm below 12V. Do I just need a new battery or is something else maybe wrong?

Cheers

I'm going to give it a proper run out to see if it gets better, but any suggestions on what battery to get if there's no change?

I only really use it when the weather's decent so it can be stood for weeks and then run for weeks as a daily. Just need something that holds the charge well when it's not being run.

With garage cost, insurance etc, I was actually considering selling up as it was stood for so long.... But then I drove it again :teeth:

Leaving it sitting never does a battery any good. I use a CTEK trickle charge on the Land Rover and it starts instantly, when before it used to take 15 seconds of poor turning over before it would start.

It also has a reconditioning setting, which may save your battery as it is now.

Although if it were me I'd just buy a new one and keep it healthy.

• Like 1

as greenlandy - get a ctek (other models are available) trickle charger

mine sits for about 3-4 days at a time and I plug it in - no worries or issues :thumbs:

but definitely consider replacing it anyway

The battery had suffered a partial deep discharge and it is possible that sulphation has occurred. Normal use MAY cure the problem but it is unlikely. Personally I would invest in a new battery and a ctek charger give the times you leave the car standing for long periods of time 👍

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

• Like 1

It'll f- you over when you really don't want it to.

Replace it IMHO.

:lol: Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. Can't use a trickle charger easily as it's parked in a shared garage with no power nearby unfortunately.

New battery it is! Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

• Like 1