outdoor car cover

bryn72

I've used a cover for two years with no visible adverse effect on the paint. Don't be put off by scare stories. As long as the car is clean when the cover goes on and it is properly secured you will be fine.

Ricey the marring on those pictures appears to be circular - are you sure it wasn't the result of poor washing technique? How could a cover create circular marks?

Edited by sipar69

Used a cover for 6 months on my VX220, no problems at all, and it was just a premium 4 layer halfords one picked up for £40. I do clean my car every weekend though and the cover never went back on without a clean first.

I've used a cover for two years with no visible adverse effect on the paint. Don't be put off by scare stories. As long as the car is clean when the cover goes on and it is properly secured you will be fine.

Ricey the marring on those pictures appears to be circular - are you sure it wasn't the result of poor washing technique? How could a cover create circular marks?

Wind with 1 tiny piece of grit.

I polish marks off these cars at least 3 times a month due to marring from tailor made fleece lined covers.

I car show you another 10-20 pics of at least 10 different cars.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Btw I'm not saying all of that is pure cover damage but this was a 3 year old 75k car. Whilst that doesn't mean it hasn't had a grit and go wash before I'm inclined to believe it was mainly the cover.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fair enough but that hasn't been my experience and I'm very fussy about the condition of my car. Maybe fleece lined covers are worse - I can imagine they might actually trap grit in the fleece.

Obvs I can't speak for your experiences of it and I'm sure as hell not going to tell you your wrong because your experience says you're right but I'll point out the absolute facts that we can all agree on;

- If there is the tiniest bit of dirt on the car the friction on that dirt will act like sandpaper. Fresh paint is flatted with 1500/2000 grit and I'll tell you now it practically feels like newspaper. Dirt or grit is significantly more corse.

- Wind will get under even a fitted cover. Wind = movement = friction = chafing even on a totally clean car. Woe betide a clip breaking free.

- Paints can even be marred by wiping them with a microfiber if they're soft enough (take a look at my Mini thread and Eds Lexus thread) never mind fleece, felt or polyester.

So essentially yes a tailor fitted car cover in a wind free, sheltered area, on a totally decontaminated car (each time it's put on) would be OK. As a professional detailer it's my opinion you will cause far, far less damage to your car by leaving open to the elements with a decent sealant than you will by covering it up.

OP £100 to my knowledge won't get you even close to a decent quality cover.

I actually pay £50 for my cover. It's the Halfords all seasons version - surprisingly good quality for the money. I change it once a year as a precaution and keep the car well sealed. I've found that adding additional straps at the front and rear helps to stop the cover billowing in the wind, although I agree that wind does get under the cover.

I actually prefer a cover that isn't tailor fitted to the shape of the car. The large version of the Halfords cover fits a 370 well. I would prefer not to have a really snugly fitted cover, as I expect that might also increase any damage from marring.

By the way, I've always been aware of the concerns about covers and paint marring. The view I've come to from my experiences is that the benefits (which include keeping the car quite anonymous - it gets no attention at all under the cover and a lot when it's uncovered) are worth is on the basis that if the paint does suffer over time I can bring it to someone like you for a good detail.