Storing a Zed over winter

Stan

Just thinking today about the upcoming winter. As the zed is my second car (as with my other cars) it stays in the garage over winter.

However in the past I get the usual problems - brakes binding, battery going flat etc. I always forget to go out and start it and move it occasionally :blush:

So in order to prepare for this winter I need some tips! Apart from setting a reminder on my phone to go out and start it (how many times? How long should I run it for?) is there anything else that people can suggest?

Also, with regards to the battery - I have an en bloc garage so can't run power out to it. Does anyone know if those solar trickle chargers are any good? I have air bricks so can run the wires outside and it can get the sun ( :lol: ) all day if needed.

Not that is what I call proactive. :thumbs:

Not that is what I call proactive. :thumbs:

Haha I guess I am a bit proactive in this respect! I was thinking more that with the nice weather coming up I might have a chance to put some solar panels on my garage and hook up a trickle charger and maybe even some LED lighting, it's always annoyed me not having power in my garage

Mine is still in hibernation :lol:

Each October I wave goodbye to the Zed and typically re-tax it come April, although this year it will be a little later as I have so much kit to install. I haven't had any issues over the years, despite being warned on many occasions. I tend to change the oil and coolant and obviously give it a good detail. Chocks are in place and the handbrake is off. The battery will remain on the car until it dies; this generally permits me to start her up every 3-4 weeks and whip her out for two mins to keep everything moving. Now as you have alluded, 3 weeks often turns to 6 and the battery dies. At this point I remove the battery as I dont have power at the garage and hook it up to a CTEK charger. I return to the garage with the battery when need be. I would invest in a CTEK charger rather than retrofitting PV's, its a great bit of kit.

I actually drove my Zed last night, brakes were initially binding although after a 2 mile run they were fine. Remember to check levels, pressures and key rubbers (tyres, hoses and belts) etc.

I am sure that some put their car on axle stands, remove wheels, wrap the brakes and use a cover cover. I typically prefer not to do this as my garage is too small and I like to keep the Zed rolling (albeit circa 10 miles over 6 months :lol:).

My daily driver is a hanging Golf 1800T. Care free driving it nice, although boy is it fun when you return to the Zed again :teeth:

Same as me, been on ctek charger for last few months, was sorned end of sept and will be taxed and ready to go in April 1st ready for a run. Have moved it up and down the drive once every week/10 days to make sure brakes etc don't bind up (I did forget to move it in November and def stuck for a few secs before moving ok thankfully!) also as long ad temps were around 10'degrees dropped the roof and made sure it was working ok along with all the lights-switches/folding mirrors etc.

Will get a interim service done in April just to make sure all is running ok and otherwise hope to enjoy the upcoming Spring/summer with the roof down and the associated fun factor!

Edited by nictry