Autoglym Polish

Thelongads

Ok, not too into the whole detailing bit so bear with me....

Really want to keep my Zed paint looking good and have got quite a lot of the autoglym range. I currently use the Super Resin Polish but noticed in Halfords that they now have Ultra deep shine - Would this be used as an alternative to the resin polish ??

Also, is it worth using the extra gloss protection after polishing

thanks

Ads :thumbs:

You may as well accept that detailing will become a large part of your life. Its addictive.

The Autoglym range is pretty good and very easy to use.

Lots of other very good stuff out there, I have tried most of it so far :headhurt:

Think my favourite to date is Zaino but its not cheap and takes a lot of time.

Not into detailing.... you will be soon...... :lol:www.detailingworld.co.uk

You'll get a load of advice (much contradictory of course) on detailing world. Give wwwpolishedbliss.co.uk an email too Rich is helpful) as he'll tell you what he uses on blue 350z. He recommended Blackfire products for my black GT4 and I have absolutely no complaints - they make it look wet n shiny. :teeth:

I have in the past used both super resin polish(srp) and ultra deep shine(uds) and there is very little difference between the 2 srp has more fillers in it and will mask swirls and random depth scratches (rds) better than uds.

If you want to use extra gloss protection (egp) then srp is the polish to use my understanding is that egp does not bond to uds but is designed to work with srp.

Once you start you'll soon get addicted to detailing :teeth:

thanks for the replies guys. I feel it may become addictive although its always bloody raining at the moment :rant:

Went out and bought a few accessories y'day, Megs wash mitt, Autoglym Aqua-dry chamois, Autoglym Hi-tec finishing cloth and soon polish applicator pads so its becoming to get more serious :teeth:

Need to compete with the guy next door, he cleans his M3 about 3 times a week :wacko:

Ads

SRP is a very good polish. EDS is, in my opinion, so much better for newer cars. If anyone has a black car, you can really see the difference.

You can use all three AG products mentioned together. SRP, then EDS followed by UGP. I have used all three at length and still used them.

Only thing with AG polishes, is they contain silicon. Great for a good finish for us, but if you ever have to have paintwork or a repair done, it makes live a lot harder for the paintshop.

With either SRP or EDS, make sure you put a sealant / wax on top. That is what gives the protection / shine. :)

The super resin polish is good but remember that any polish cuts through the surface and should then be followed up with some sort of top coat or wax. The extra gloss protector is to go over the top of the polish. Polishing is something you only do once in a while but waxing you can do more often but definitely after polish to re-seal and protect. :thumbs:

If you have a kuro, be very careful of polishes of any kind unless you are a pro.

I used to look after my car to the best of my ability but it wasn't good enough and I was doing more damage than good.

A well done, regular wash, rinse and waxing is fine IMHO.

And don't believe all the b*ll*x you read about products "bonding" with paint, because they don't - we have a layer of clear coat on top as all modern cars do so any product that claims to "work with the paint" is talking rubbish when it comes to our cars (but could be very true for cars with no clear coat).

Like most things in life, a modest approach works best!

PS. If you live near trees like me, use a garage :) Otherwise you attract leaf prints, bird sh1t and cat scratches :rant:

If you have a kuro, be very careful of polishes of any kind unless you are a pro.

I used to look after my car to the best of my ability but it wasn't good enough and I was doing more damage than good.

A well done, regular wash, rinse and waxing is fine IMHO.

And don't believe all the b*ll*x you read about products "bonding" with paint, because they don't - we have a layer of clear coat on top as all modern cars do so any product that claims to "work with the paint" is talking rubbish when it comes to our cars (but could be very true for cars with no clear coat).

Like most things in life, a modest approach works best!

PS. If you live near trees like me, use a garage :) Otherwise you attract leaf prints, bird sh1t and cat scratches :rant:

Stevie also uses squirrels to take polish off his car, which adds to his misery. :p

The Jetseal they put on your car works chemical wonders Stevie...... ;)

Stevie also uses squirrels to take polish off his car, which adds to his misery. :p

The Jetseal they put on your car works chemical wonders Stevie...... ;)

Only the finest microfibre squirrels!

After washing the car twice on sat I was going to wax it but the air was so damp I couldn't get the car dry! Still, after Bryan's proper clean and polish it's still looking B)

OK I've Got an Autogleemy type Question for you,

This is my first post here so bere with me, I picked up my zed last week from the dealer after 4 years of waiting.

I had a day off yesterday so I thought I'd give it, its first good buffing. I gave it a good wash blady blah! Quick clay (fantastic stuff). I then used some sachets of NXT Tech Wax which the guy up my local car shop gave me as I was indecisive about changing from Autoglym which I always used before.

The NXT did look good, so I finished with a good coat of P21S.

However I can't help thinking that it doesn't look as good as my old Alfa GTV when I polished it with autoglym SRP and EGP.

Did I miss a polish stage? (even though the dealer did a machine polish on it at the weekend). and would you guys recommend ditching the NXT keeping with the SRP, EGP followed by a hefty dollop of P21S.

Ok I'm boring you now!!! :wacko:

Hi mate, welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

The dealer machine polished it!? First off, that could be a problem!! Got any pics?

One differential to make, is AG SRP is a polish, and the NXT Tech wax is a wax. Polish has a cut in it, to remove oxidisation, fill microscopic scratches etc. Wax is a protective coat that adds a 'look' to the car. Wax and polish are not interchangeable ie they don't do the same thing.

Assuming the machine polish has been done correctly, the car should have then had sealant and a wax added. If not, then you need to layer the wax up. IMO NXT Tech wax doesn't do a great deal for the money, and Megs do better products as to other brands.

P21S is a great finishing wax. The EGP you mention is effectively a sealant and a good one at that IMO. Using that on your Zed, with P21S on top should look very good. :)

What colour were the two cars you are comparing?

Cheers for the fast response H5.

I'm working on the pics mate - not sure how to make them small enough to fit on here.

Judging by the the way the rain blobbed up (thats a technical term), I'd say they had put some sort of protection on it. Although small as it seemed to wash off when I washed it. I did give a good layer of Megs and P21S so that should protect it.

Sounds like I should keep to my autoglym then, as I say I used to be really pleased with it on my GTV, and with a good helping of P21S to finish, she'd be Girt Lush (excuse the Bristolian).

Apart from all that I'm loving it!!

Cheers for the advice.