Camera help - quality settings

H5

I have a simple Olympus point and shoot camera, and in the picture quality settings the top two are High Quality and Super High Quality. Both with 2816 x 2112 after it. When SHQ is selected the number of pictures the memory card stores is at 437, yet on HQ is over 1,000. What's the difference and what should I put it on!? :wacko:

Its all down to how much compression it uses, SHQ will use less compression and as such you cant fit as much into the space you have. HQ will use a higher compression and you'll fit more. The lower the compression the better the quality will be and the more like the original scene it will be. You should have it on the highest you can without running out of space.

Google JPEG compression if you are really interested in how it works :thumbs:

OK, thanks Chris. Not so fussed how it works, but the reason I bought a 2gb card is so when I go on driving hoiday later this year for 3 weeks, I have enough memory. I guess 400 is fine for 3 weeks!!

Is the difference likely to be something I can see??

Its all in the eye of the beholder as they say. On normal 7"x5" prints, not likely, on bigger ones, chances are yes. If you do slideshows on your 40" TV like me, they yes ;)

All I can suggest is that you try them both in various conditions and see if you can see the difference. I usually leave mine on max quality and delete poor photos rather than reducing the quality and keeping them all.

I would recommend using as high as possible.

If you think the card is going to be used up quickly then take on highest for first 300 shots and if you think you may run out of space then switch to lower settings and you will likely get another 200-300. If you are taking more than 600 shots then you are taking too many. Therefore delete the multiples you took "just in case"

If the highest is also saving as RAW (as in Canon's highest settings) then switch that off as I can guarantee 99% of us never need RAW.

If the highest is also saving as RAW (as in Canon's highest settings) then switch that off as I can guarantee 99% of us never need RAW.

+1 - I only ever use RAW if I know the conditions are challenging and I know I can correct the problems in Photochop. Most people shouldnt bother with it. And if you dont know what it is you wont need it either :)

Never use anything but Highest quality J PEG's on my Nikon D300, you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference, i have tried RAW and Nikons NEF software, but in my opinion unles you plan on larger than A3 prints, it isn't worth it, even at iso 2000, the images are silky smooth, and VERY little noise :teeth:

Sats

I look at it this way, imagine you take THE photo of the holiday and find you cant enlarge it enough because you only took it in a lower quality resolution, how annoyed would you be?

Thats why I take the highest resolution and just buy another memory card if necessary, they are so cheap now, in the scheme of things, they are nothing.

Good advice on the batteries!!

Agreed on the memory cards, my 2gb one was about £15 so I can always get another one. It was whether I can tell the difference. It will be a lot of car shots in various scenaries and famous places, so may well want to enlarge some of them. SHQ it is from the sound of it, and take my spare 128mb card for emergencies! :)