Another oil gallery gasket!

GeorgeB

So having had my 350z for all of a week I decided to send it back to Horsham with this wish list...

Ohlins suspension fitted

Low octain fuel map (just in case I can't get the good stuff)

Misimoto radiator fitted

Whiteline drop links fitted

Camber arms fitted

Fix a couple of little niggles

Having been told that the supercharger needs to come out to get the rad in I asked that they replace the oil gallery gaskets too. The car has only done 30,000 but thought I may as well while they've got that much of it apart already. Today I got this email...

"A few more pics , hot off the press , you can see how much needs to be removed to get at these gaskets

And you can see the lower gasket was just fine , but the upper one had failed considerably and was being forced up the plate – only a matter of time here so quite a save!

One of the retaining bolts was only finger tight that didn’t help so thanks Nissan!"

Oh am I glad I asked for the gaskets to be done!!

The guys at Horsham are great, always keeping me up to date, explaining my choices etc. Can't thank them enough.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to driving on the Ohlins. Just waiting on the rad going in and the front of the car being put back together so I can get it back!

post-28141-0-97396600-1455818443_thumb.jpgpost-28141-0-31825700-1455818532_thumb.jpgpost-28141-0-97462100-1455818668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep Jez & Craig are great guys imo, ...they kept me well informed every step of the way when my Zed was up there too.

They also sent me pictures too which tbh no other performance garage has ever done for me when I've had a car in with them so just shows what a decent garage Horsham Developments is. ;)

A big part of my job is to keep customers informed and it’s something we are endeavouring to improve so glad it’s having an impact.

Its disappointing that owners are encountering this issue but its well worth the piece of mind in my opinion for 350HR and 370HR owners , the ramifications of total failure dont bear thinking about

George has also had corner weights done and a full 4 wheel alignment.

Phil road tested it after the suspension work and was very impressed with the ride and handling so we hope you are

• Like 2

A big part of my job is to keep customers informed and it’s something we are endeavouring to improve so glad it’s having an impact.

Its disappointing that owners are encountering this issue but its well worth the piece of mind in my opinion for 350HR and 370HR owners , the ramifications of total failure dont bear thinking about

George has also had corner weights done and a full 4 wheel alignment.

Phil road tested it after the suspension work and was very impressed with the ride and handling so we hope you are

Interesting point here as well is that I don't think this car was seeing low oil pressure and yet the gasket was on its way out

Lucky to say the least! good work guys

I thought there wasn't too much risk with these failing as you wouldn't actually lose oil?

You lose oil pressure. A few engine failures on 370's in the US have been blamed on gasket failures

I thought the oil wasn't "lost" as such, just held somewhere it shouldn't be, so as long as you top up a bit to account for it your good? Not ideal obviously... but not a major issue?

Yours should be fine George the oil pressure was still well within reccomended range.

Oil pressure is resistance to flow , if the oil can escape past the gasket then there is less resistance to the flow so less pressure everywhere. We havent seen enough to determine a pattern as to how they fail over time, I guess you could have either a worsening oil pressure issue or a sudden failure.

The oil isnt pumped out of the engine its simply running back down into the sump instead of continuing around the moving parts

Glad your getting it sorted dude and happy you are using jez and the crew as suggested . Im really sorry you had to do this though and i do feel a tad guilty ! But i genuinely didnt have a clue ! The oil pressure was as it should and thought that a 08 plate with 30k on shouldnt have anything to worry about for a good few miles yet .

Again cant recommend H-dev enough ......

Once all the suspensions on and you buy that diff of off nic i would love to meet up and have a look/feel of it . Maybe H-Dev should do a zed meet at their place ;)

Once all the suspensions on and you buy that diff of off nic i would love to meet up and have a look/feel of it . Maybe H-Dev should do a zed meet at their place ;)

Plans are afoot :) Once it warms up a bit!

• Like 1

Glad your getting it sorted dude and happy you are using jez and the crew as suggested . Im really sorry you had to do this though and i do feel a tad guilty ! But i genuinely didnt have a clue ! The oil pressure was as it should and thought that a 08 plate with 30k on shouldnt have anything to worry about for a good few miles yet .

He might be allowed the diff yet ;)

And after you have let me spank your m3 to see what it's like ;)

• Like 1

No need to apologise, certainly not your fault! Just glad it's done now :)

I'm sure Nick won't notice it gone, seems to be spending most of it's life as a coffee table at the moment!

Defo up for a meet when ZZZ is back and the weather perks up a bit.

If the oil pressure reading is within the acceptable range, does that mean the engine is safe from this particular issue?

Or could the oil pressure read OK and you still be at risk?

That's what I was trying to say lol

Yeah, still not sure I know the answer to this. I know mines being sorted, but can other Z owners rely on the oil pressure to know they aren't at risk. As Rich said, perhaps that's not clear yet due to lack of examples?

No need to apologise, certainly not your fault! Just glad it's done now :)

I'm sure Nick won't notice it gone, seems to be spending most of it's life as a coffee table at the moment!

Defo up for a meet when ZZZ is back and the weather perks up a bit.

If the oil pressure reading is within the acceptable range, does that mean the engine is safe from this particular issue?

Or could the oil pressure read OK and you still be at risk?

That's what I was trying to say lol

Yeah, still not sure I know the answer to this. I know mines being sorted, but can other Z owners rely on the oil pressure to know they aren't at risk. As Rich said, perhaps that's not clear yet due to lack of examples?

Funiture is more expensive lol

• Like 1