XL tyre rating

Flex

Looking at tyres for the skyline but also pricing up for the zed. Will the XL rating affect the handling of the car? There's very few tyres I'm looking at that dont have the XL rating.

Local tyre chap said that extra load rating is meant for people carriers etc that will have an increase in load. Neither the skyline or the zed need that.

Thanks as every,

Craig

[quote name='brillomaster' timestamp='1455705805' post='1587417']
XL rated tyres have stiffer sidewalls, so will slightly increase steering precision and turn in, at the expense of ride comfort.

I preferred my zed with XL tyres, non XL tyres felt a bit wobbly when cornering.
[/quote]

Thank you! Skyline is quite a hard ride anyway, cant get any worse :lol:

You got a new track car yet?

[quote name='Mikevv' timestamp='1455705930' post='1587418']
I always thought it was just a "stronger" version, like more reinforcement, for eXtra Load ;)

We shall see what else the forum guru's know, but that's my guess
[/quote]

Reinforced tyres are different from XL, got caught out on that one before. :blush:

[quote name='ZMANALEX' timestamp='1455705993' post='1587420']
When I moved from run flats on the R35 I went for XL rating on the MPSSs and the Vredestein Vorti.

Both the above non run flats have soft/ flexible walls, so in my instance XL was imperative.

Alex. :)
[/quote]

I have Vred Vorti's in XL trim, excellent tyre for my everyday driving :teeth:

• Like 1

[quote name='Flex' timestamp='1455709877' post='1587446']
And some are saying TL for tubeless? I thought most tyres were tubeless now anyway?
[/quote]
Part of the regulations regarding marking on tyres. I don't think that tubes have been used on cars since the 1950's. I know that tubes are still widely used on road racing bikes and from what I remember my Lambretta had them as well.

Pete