SG Boot Struts

bytespc

• 1 month later...

I'm about to order a pair from SGS. Anyone know what is the size of the bolt that screws into the bootlid? I just tried a couple of spanners on it - 11mm is too small but 12mm seems too slack and I don't want to risk stripping the bolt.

PS Haven't been on the forum for a couple of years now but still running the original Z. :)

I'm about to order a pair from SGS. Anyone know what is the size of the bolt that screws into the bootlid? I just tried a couple of spanners on it - 11mm is too small but 12mm seems too slack and I don't want to risk stripping the bolt.

PS Haven't been on the forum for a couple of years now but still running the original Z. :)

I ended up using a very narrow/thin adjustable spanner as I only had my imperial scanners and couldn't get any to fit cleanly.

• Like 1

I ended up using a very narrow/thin adjustable spanner as I only had my imperial scanners and couldn't get any to fit cleanly.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

Just bought an adjustable spanner and tried that but it just keeps slipping off. The 12mm is definitely too slack to get any purchase on it.

These bolts don't look like they were ever meant to come out!

I may have to give up and cope with the bootlid falling down in cold weather.

It is indeed a 12mm bolt. When i fitted my struts I removed the OEM one, but they are held in very tightly with copious amounts of threadlock. Personally, I heated the ball joints up with the "flamethrower" tip on my gas soldering iron (you could also use a kitchen blowtorch) to try to soften the threadlock, then used an open ended 12mm spanner (not a socket or the round end ones) and it came off with a bit of force.

It is indeed a 12mm bolt. When i fitted my struts I removed the OEM one, but they are held in very tightly with copious amounts of threadlock. Personally, I heated the ball joints up with the "flamethrower" tip on my gas soldering iron (you could also use a kitchen blowtorch) to try to soften the threadlock, then used an open ended 12mm spanner (not a socket or the round end ones) and it came off with a bit of force.

Just for reference my '08 HR did not have threadlock on them, but did require quite a force to start them off but easy once started.

Just for reference my '08 HR did not have threadlock on them, but did require quite a force to start them off but easy once started.

Thanks for that update. Mine definitely must have lots of threadlock on them because they show no signs of shifting at all. I have decided to check to see if the weight is still in the bootlid and, if so, remove it as a first step. Failing that, I will try to cut the sockets off the ball joints and replace the struts using the OEM ball joints.

Thanks for that update. Mine definitely must have lots of threadlock on them because they show no signs of shifting at all. I have decided to check to see if the weight is still in the bootlid and, if so, remove it as a first step. Failing that, I will try to cut the sockets off the ball joints and replace the struts using the OEM ball joints.

Theres no need to cut them off!!

If you look at the strut where it clips onto the ball joint, you will see a thin black metal band going around the strut/ball joint socket area, if you use something like a knife to lever this off of the strut (its clipped in somehow, but cant remember how) the strut will come free from the ball joint if you give it a little tug as there's nothing physically holding it in place anymore.

Just bear in mind, the single strut that's still attached can NOT hold the boot up, it is very heavy so don't let it hit you on the head when you take the first strut off. Unless youre primed ready for it, or have a helper it will do just that!