Another HR with failed oil gallery gaskets

johnrw

Has anybody got a source for the different bits we find in the timing galley? The guides, chain etc. I'll probably get hold of the gaskets but I might need the other bits depending on what I find in there.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I don't think there has been a case of this actually damaging an engine or having any long time side effects without throwing up codes first ! if it gets to a point where they have failed, the pressure will be that low the idle will fluctuate badly and you should get intake timing control codes P0011 or P0021 or both.

Reason these codes will pop up as they work off oil pressure so if you get either code or both most definitely change the gaskets as it could starve the top end of oil. If you carry on driving with these codes then good luck !

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Forgot to mention don't trust the gauge in your car, hot idle car gauge read 18psi and @2000rpm 50psi. I hooked a gauge upto the oil sender unit and took readings again at hot idle 15psi and @2000rpm 47psi. We calibrate hydraulic pumps, valves, rams etc at work after manufacturing them and get them certified so the accuracy of our gauges has to be spot on !

I don't think there has been a case of this actually damaging an engine or having any long time side effects without throwing up codes first ! if it gets to a point where they have failed, the pressure will be that low the idle will fluctuate badly and you should get intake timing control codes P0011 or P0021 or both.

Reason these codes will pop up as they work off oil pressure so if you get either code or both most definitely change the gaskets as it could starve the top end of oil. If you carry on driving with these codes then good luck !

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Plenty of cases of engine damage on 370s in the USA without codes and we have seen engine damage to the top end on 350 engines with low oil pressure, could be coincidence that an engine fails and just happens to have low pressure or could be a direct result

I certainly wouldnt be trusting the fact that you have no codes that you have no risk of damage

Plenty of cases of engine damage on 370s in the USA without codes and we have seen engine damage to the top end on 350 engines with low oil pressure, could be coincidence that an engine fails and just happens to have low pressure or could be a direct result

I certainly wouldnt be trusting the fact that you have no codes that you have no risk of damage

Without opening it up, is there any real way of knowing if the low pressure is caused by the gaskets or not? I'm assuming the gaskets on mine have never been done (I don't have an FSH) and it's just hit 96k miles. It seems like the gaskets are a when rather than an if problem. Is that accurate?

Edited by RavenDW

Without opening it up, is there any real way of knowing if the low pressure is caused by the gaskets or not? I'm assuming the gaskets on mine have never been done (I don't have an FSH) and it's just hit 96k miles. It seems like the gaskets are a when rather than an if problem. Is that accurate?

The gaskets are poor quality and thats why Nissan replaced them so i would say its a case of when rather than if but some were done under the 5 yr Nissan engine warranty

Gaskets aside, are there any parts in that region of the car that are incompatible between DEs and HRs? (offending gaskets aside obviously) So timing chains, tensioners, water pump etc.

I'm doing some poking around for parts and prices right now, but I'm not having a great deal of luck anywhere except eBay (and even that's limited). Don't particularly feel like being taken for a ride price-wise by Nissan.

Edited by RavenDW

Contacted Z1 Motorsport in America about this as they deal with the vast majority of Z's and this is what they messaged back.

"We haven't ever seen significant damage caused by it, but the lack of cam timing advance really kills the performance so sometimes egos get damaged a bit. :)"

If I knew how to upload a screenshot of my message to them and the reply I would lol

Contacted Z1 Motorsport in America about this as they deal with the vast majority of Z's and this is what they messaged back.

"We haven't ever seen significant damage caused by it, but the lack of cam timing advance really kills the performance so sometimes egos get damaged a bit. :)"

What Z1 have said is correct: If the HR has low oil pressure caused by the leaking gaskets the inlet cam control is slow in responding and the idle is also a little erratic.

• Like 1

So is it correct then that there is not a large risk of internal damage if this occurs? I.e if one notices a lower oil pressure then no need for immediate absolute panic if there is a reasonable level and no visible leak. Not that this is a concern for me at the moment but nice to know info ready for if and when this happens

So is it correct then that there is not a large risk of internal damage if this occurs? I.e if one notices a lower oil pressure then no need for immediate absolute panic if there is a reasonable level and no visible leak. Not that this is a concern for me at the moment but nice to know info ready for if and when this happens

There is no need to panic if you have this issue as your motor is not going to go BANG.

Just be aware of the lowish oil pressure and drive accordingly until you replace the gaskets.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/02/2016 at 01:37, d95gas said:

I may be wrong, but as far as I have read, it relates to the HR engine which is the 2006 ->

This is an issue with earlier motors also. One I recently bought an 2003 DE has the same oil pressure issue and problems related about to tackle the job.

On 14/10/2020 at 15:01, Ratrodguy101 said:

This is an issue with earlier motors also. One I recently bought an 2003 DE has the same oil pressure issue and problems related about to tackle the job.

Only the HR engine 350z and the 370z's. Your car will consume oil so keep checking the oil level :thumbs: