Difference with checking oil hot and cold

mattfinch

Hello all

I have been trying to find out for a long time why my 350 has started losing oil when it’s not leaking or seems to be burning it. I have a 55 DE and runs fine but my oil keeps going down to just above the half way mark on the dip stick after about 500 miles or so. Now I have always checked the oil level before driving the car when its cold and it reads just above half way. Today after a good drive left it for about 30mins and went and checked and it was bang on max as it was still warm.

My question does it really make a big different if you check the oil level when cold and hot and also if that is true does that mean all the time I have been topping it up to max in the cold it has just been burning it off as there would have been too much oil in the engine.

Thanks

Kind of depends on how long after driving you check the level, bare in mind that the oil has been well distributed around the engine and will hang around until it drains back to the sump, however hot oil will drain down fairly quickly, so I would expect after 10 mins you would get a reasonable idea of the true level, and once cold it will rise just a little.

Measure it stone cold and you have the oil at its thickest (so it sticks to the dipstick better without running and giving false readings), and you also know 100% that every last drop is in the sump. Do it when it's warm and you get the opposite.

That said, after 30mins I'd expect it to be vaguely close to where it should be. The fact it's reading approx 1/2 a litre over where it is when cold leads me to think that it's sticking to the dipstick awkwardly, so not giving you a true reading. You could just drop the entire contents and refill, that way you know for definite how much is in there.

Thanks.

The problem im having is the opposite. When its cold before starting it the oil reads just above half way and after driving and leaving it for 30mins it then sits dead on max.

Having said that my drive is a very slight slope just enough for a marbal to start rolling on its own so im guessing thats why I get a false reading. Just drove to a flat car park and checked it there and it sits on max.

Hopefully the problem is with my drive and not the car :)

I think the secret is to be careful when you fit and remove the dipstick, as it so easy to smear on the way out, it also pointless on uneven ground, getting the stick in the right light helps a lot as the oil will reflect, failing that on awkward dipsticks I have cleaned thoroughly and used an indelible marker on it, its makes the oil easier to see, it does come off after a while but does no harm.