04 Zed, Oil in spark plug well

DarmoZ

Was supposed to post this ages ago, just forgot.

At my last service my mechanic said he found oil in the back 2 spark plug wells, he said it was not sever, like it had built up over time.

I heard that 04's are known to have poor cam covers which can cause this?

Iv'e also heard many other terms and i think i need some education, can someone please help me understand all the different things listed below (iv'e heard them at some point in time) and what they do, difference between them, if something shares the same name would be good to know that too.

• Cam cover
  • Rocker cover
  • all the different gaskets
  • PCV or PVC cover?

any others?

Thanks in advanced,

PCV is a valve

cam cover and rocker cover are the same thing i beleive

You cant replace the gaskets normally on the cam cover, you need to look around on the forum you can buy a kit and you need to drill out the old ones to replace them or buy new covers.

OK thanks, so I understand that I need new Cam Covers AND Cam Cover gaskets. As you have to change both at the same time. worth getting a plenum space installed at the same time? mine has never had this mod done before.

Parts / labor what are we talking ?

If the oil ingress to the spark plug chambers is minimal, I would be inclined to save your pennies as it will not cause any harm.

Options are:

Leave it alone.

Replace the 6 cam cover oil seals.

Replace the cam covers with known pre owned.

Replace the cam covers with brand new.

Remember that each time you remove the cam cover, you will have to replace rubber cam cover gaskets which are circa £15.00 each.

Thanks for the help, yes I think its just the seals that need doing, if I can do that and keep the existing covers should be a cheap fix.

Are the terms cam cover seals and cam cover gasket interchangeable? and there are six of them?

I think that you are a bit confused.

There are 6 oil seals, if these fail, oil will leak into the spark plug chambers.

There are 2 rubber gaskets, if these fail, oil will only leak externally and not into the chambers, however they should be replaced every time that you remove the cam cover.

It is also worth mentioning that if you replace the 6 seals, you should also consider replacing the 6 spark plug tubes.

Ahh ok that clears it thanks, sounds like I just need the two oil seals and spark plug tubes then (two at the back with the oil in them)

Is this something that's relatively easy to do, would the cam cover need to come off? if so guess I'll need the two gaskets as well.

I assume all these parts are cheap, but the labour isn't.

As first point of call ill inspect the chamber to see how much oil has come back in since they were cleared of oil at last service, to determine how bad the situation is.