WHEEL SIZES

JimC

Hi guys,

I currently own a 1998 Toyota Supra TT Vvti - BPU.

I am interested in purchasing a Z but am still doing my research.

I have a few questions.....

What are the SIGNIFICANT differences between JSPEC and UK SPEC?

What are the standard wheel sizes for both?

Ideally i would like to put wider wheels on. What is the limit without big modifications.

Is there a basic performance upgrade. On supras we call it BPU (Basic power upgrade). It is essentially a stage 1 engine modification. This includes full de-cat with restrictor ring, exhaust, dump valve, fuel cut defender, uprated fuel pump, cloder grade spark plugs, boost guage.

I was wondering if there was someting similar you guys do on the Z? If so, what power/torque outputs result?

What are your average MPG's? I'm hoping tey may be a little better than my supe!!!!!

Thanks for your time guys and i appreciate all replys in advance.

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome to the site. OK, here goes ;)

1/http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1781

2/&3/ Standard wheels are 18s but up to 20s is common.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=61

4/ The ECU will level most of the basic upgrades which claim BHP increases so I guess the answer to that is no.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

Have a look through here. The next step up is a TT conversion but that big bucks

5/ http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2634

One thing you will be used to is the amount of parts available from the UK and USA and pretty good prices.

:D

hya mate and welcome to the site, loving the supra tt, especially vvti very rare, must be a 1998 or newer B) Would of loved to have got one but age was a factor for me. Stunning looking cars never the less and rapid... but sure you know that lol. Okay lets see if can help you out here I have a UK spec but this question gets asked alot quite a bit.

What are the SIGNIFICANT differences between JSPEC and UK SPEC?

Depends what spec you go for on the Japan spec, you can pretty much get the same set up as the UK, only major difference is that the Imports are limited to 120 but this is easily eliminated by a HKS defender, and if you tune it you can get a higher top end than what the UK one is capable off. The only other differnece is that the fuel tank is slightly smaller but no biggy from what I hear Brembos, leather seats and GT pack are all optionals on the Imports, mainly standard on the UK.

What are the standard wheel sizes for both?

Hmm Im pretty sure they are both 18", although have heard of some jap cars coming with 17"

Ideally i would like to put wider wheels on. What is the limit without big modifications.

Well Im running 10.5 x 19 rear and 9.5 x 19 front with toyo tyres 285x30x19 rear and 265x30x19 front, Cavey is running 12 x 19 which are mahoosive, bith of these set ups are without modifying the arches. Important thing is the offset of the wheels must clear the bulky brembo callipers. If I lowered my car then like any othercar my arches would have to be rolled

Is there a basic performance upgrade. On supras we call it BPU (Basic power upgrade). It is essentially a stage 1 engine modification. This includes full de-cat with restrictor ring, exhaust, dump valve, fuel cut defender, uprated fuel pump, cloder grade spark plugs, boost guage.

I was wondering if there was someting similar you guys do on the Z? If so, what power/torque outputs result?

You can get an Fcon IS HKS which will allow power gains from exhaust plenum induction, but the ecu is self learning and will eventually set itself back unless a 2003 model below I think. The only way to get the more power gains is to go FI, but if you are looking at anything over 400bhp then an engine rebuild is highly recommended.

What are your average MPG's? I'm hoping tey may be a little better than my supe!!!!!

I currently get about 24mpg but as you know its all about how you drive, and for the first 3 months Id say youd probably do 16-18 :lol:

get some piccies of you car mate would love to see it

:thumbs:B)

guys,

Thank you so much for all your help so far. Its great to really get advice off the people who know.

Zedrush - Thanks for the comments on my supra. I absoloutley love the car, and being a speed freak its perfect. Im just thinking of a change. The supe is a 1998 quicksilver vvti tt. I am currently running BPU 386BHP, 373lbft torque. Single turbo PHR stage 1 kit to come. ;-)

Here are some pics for ya!My brothers car (gunmetal with gold racing hart's) is somewhat MORE powerful! hehehe! Lets just say he's worth avoiding unless you've got a something like a zonda, konigsiegg or the new Nissan GT-R!!!! hehehe

Absolutely stunning Jim I really do love these cars, you done a great job keeping the original lines of it...

There was a guy in the states who fitted a supra engine in a 350z, had a huge single turbo in it... B)

The power of your car compared to the Z will be noticably different, but for rarity and pleasure to cruise at an okay BHP the 350z is great. My brother went from a 360bhp Saab to the 350z, he loves the Z for its looks and handly and fun factor, the only downside was torque, but one Turbo install will sort that :thumbs:

Can I ask why you are thinking of changing ?

:blush:

welcome jim B)

love the supra, unusual colour but B)

you can get wide wheels for the zed and to a degree you can use the offset to get the wheels out a little bit more, obviously if your dropping it then the arches may need rolling but that really depends on - how low and how wide B)

it does affect the handling a bit - too wide on the front can cause some understeer

I'm thinking of a change purely for that reason...a change.

I know the power difference will be substantial, but it's not that often i really go for it anyway! Only when a posh 911 owner needs some disciplining!!!! hehehe!

I am running wheelmania 19" vortex r wheels.

They are 265 40 rear and 235 35 front. I cant remember for the life of me the offsets though!

I diod have 18" at 285 and 255 before that.

To put 19's on the Z what are the usual sizes? Similar to mine?...and what offsets are required?

Thanks again guys

;-)

I'm thinking of a change purely for that reason...a change.

I know the power difference will be substantial, but it's not that often i really go for it anyway! Only when a posh 911 owner needs some disciplining!!!! hehehe!

I am running wheelmania 19" vortex r wheels.

They are 265 40 rear and 235 35 front. I cant remember for the life of me the offsets though!

I diod have 18" at 285 and 255 before that.

To put 19's on the Z what are the usual sizes? Similar to mine?...and what offsets are required?

Thanks again guys

;-)

I think and this is a guess that i have +22 and +24 I could be massively wrong though. A lot of people go with a stagger set so you go larger rear and slighly smaller front, If you dont get it right it can look like the arches swallow up the wheel. I learnt that mistake on my old 350z, take a look:

Old Z:

c87549e0.jpg

Current Z:

IMG_9508.jpg

wheels might be getting they are 11 inch wide at the rear:

IMG_0242_1.jpg

By the way if you see a blue 911 with D1 CAT as the numberplate, tell your brother he could have his hands full with that one :lol:;)

You should be able to reuse your supra alloys if you wanted on the zed but you'll have to look at running spacers i've had to get 20mm hubcentric ones to fit some wheels i got from a supra onto my zed.

Supra normally run about +42 and +45 i think

Jim, its impossible to say whether they would fit without at least knowing the wheel style and whether you are getting JDM or a UK car - UK Brembos need greater clearance.

My provisional view is that the offsets, even if they clear the brakes, will look naff (will undoubtedly sit too far into the arches) and spacers would be the only way to go.

You may be better selling these to a Supra owner and getting some rims that you know will fit a Zed. :)

Digsy,

I think that would be best, and i already have 3 guys on my supra site after my wheels, so all good!

What are the favourite wheels for Zed?

I have seen a few with volks that look great, but was wondering what some of the usual suspects in terms of wheels are. Then i cold start browsing trying to get some ideas of what might be good.

Digsy,

I think that would be best, and i already have 3 guys on my supra site after my wheels, so all good!

What are the favourite wheels for Zed?

I have seen a few with volks that look great, but was wondering what some of the usual suspects in terms of wheels are. Then i cold start browsing trying to get some ideas of what might be good.

Take a look at this to whet your appetite...

http://www.zmodified.com/gallery/index.php?cat=31

Its a little out of date now but most of the wheels will still be available.

You could look at what Adam has for sale...

http://www.z1auto.com/submodel.asp?mode ... cat=wheels

Or just have a mooch around the wheels and gallery sections of the site.

:thumbs: