newbie with a problem

mattyp182

Hi guys I signed up a few months ago for some advice on looking for a z and now I have got my hands on one. Within the first week the engine light came on but the dealer could not find a problem it has since came back on and with the snap on code reader I'm getting p1274 p1284 p0138 and p0158. I orginaly thought it may have been the cat as once up to temp it gives the eggy smell off now and again but there seams too many codes just for that. Could anybody shed some light on this. Much appreciated

Hi,

I've had these, and they all relate to the sensors before (1274,1284) and after (0138, 0154) the cats. Have you got high-flow, or no, cats?

I cured most of them by replacing the sensors but that is very expensive and unnecessary if you have HFCs or removed them altogether, in which case you need an engine map to ignore them.

What age of car and mods do you have?

Unlikely all of them I'd say. P1274 (drivers side) and P1284 (passenger side) relate to the Air Fuel Ratio sensors forward of the cats. I can understand the HO2 sensors downstream being affected by the cats if they were damaged...

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with practical advice about testing before you shell out £300 on replacing them all.