Phil's 350z track day toy

philw99

• 3 weeks later...

So with the seat mounts painted, finally managed get the seats fitted :) didn't take long honest :wacko:

20160719_211802.jpg

New brake pads all round, flushed the brake fluid change the gear box oil and diff oil, she's all ready for the next track day! #Trackaddict

:yahoo:

Then bring on more power! Superchager or Turbo still undecided. So tempted by the Syvecs ECU just can't get over the cost.

Did get a quote from Jez at Horsham, he might get a phone call from me one day all excited wanting to order the Syvecs ECU, especially if I win the lottery.

• Like 1

cant (although i love rockingham) since my new car needs a new rad - ergo, i'm skint for august! will get her on track in september.

have fun though, rockingham is a great track, stay away from the wall!

Shame pal. Hopefully see you at Cadwell. Love that track

Sent on the move, excuse any typos :)

cant (although i love rockingham) since my new car needs a new rad - ergo, i'm skint for august! will get her on track in september.

have fun though, rockingham is a great track, stay away from the wall!

Don't plan on going anywhere near that wall :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally got my new ECU, only took me about 2 years to decided which one :teeth:

Decided Syvecs costs too much so went with a Link G4+ in the end, not got the car back yet but will hopefully be testing it sometime this week.

Can't say the documentation on the web is brilliant but looking forward to having a play with it, interface software looks good.

Does anyone have any experience with the Link G4+? interested to know how people have found it.

Still not had my ECU fitted yet, the guy doing the Map wants to do it on the road and he's been waiting for a nice day. Could be waiting a while and I need the car for Oulton on the 11th.

aww didnt know you were doing Oulton on the 11th! I was just there yesterday, managed to get a 90% dry day, good circuit! ridiculous amount of red flags though, basically one every ten minutes throughout the entire day.

Sorry mate should have said, four of us going plus a GTR so should be a good day. Manage to get a free garage as well, bloody praying for good weather!

Got another converted BMW 3 series track day car with us.

You were so lucky to have 90% dry, was blue sky's here Saturday morning but pi**ed it down all day Sunday. Shame about the red flags can get very annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Can report we also had alot of red flags during the day on Saturday, one guy broke down on the sighting laps straight out of the pit lane :blink:

Would like to say the 350 performed as faultlessly as normal, however it would appear to have developed a fault :wacko:

Was getting feedback about blue smoke when letting off the throttle.

Oil level appeared fine and no loss of power or anything.

Would really appreciate advice on the next steps, from reading the forum I'm thinking the following?

1) Oil change to thicker oil? Was running about 112°c so hotter than previous track days

2) replace PVC or go with oil catch can?

3) repair rocker cover gasket, seems to be a weakness of the DE Engine.

4) I'll get a compression test done asap

Or should I just accept it's valve seals and costly engine rebuild?

I've just had the car remapped but it can't be the Map right?

Oil temp of 112c is nothing, if you were pushing 130c I might be concerned but up to about 120c I wouldn't worry at all.

Possibly valve seals, but normally you'd get that when the car is sitting at idle not on the move. PCV is a good shout to check, easy fix too.

• Like 1

Glad you had a gooden! Oulton days in the wet can often be riddled with stoppages! Like you said about sighting laps, we had an E36 M3 spin off into barrier on the sighting laps back in December and a friends head gasket went on the sighting laps too on a 18 month old Fiesta. Felt bad as he had traveled all the way down from Newcastle :(.

Sucks about the blue smoke, my old ITR did it on lift off and i just ignored it and made sure oil levels were always nice and high. Wasn't worth the costly rebuild for me.

Love the steering wheel retrim too btw.

Top stuff, seats look to be mounted really low which i love!

Jut seen you are up the road in Mac, only in Alsager myself. During summer i am constantly up the Cat & Fiddle :).

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend say my old DE car was blowing bit of blue smoke intermittently seemingly on lift off/gear change and I swapped out the PCV valve and was job done so hopefully you get the same result.

What oil rating do you use normally?

• Like 1

I had a friend say my old DE car was blowing bit of blue smoke intermittently seemingly on lift off/gear change and I swapped out the PCV valve and was job done so hopefully you get the same result.

Sounds hopeful then :D Had 5w30 when it was blowing blue smoke, just ordered some 5w40. Yet to order the PCV valve yet.

Sounds hopeful then :D Had 5w30 when it was blowing blue smoke, just ordered some 5w40. Yet to order the PCV valve yet.

Every chance it is that.......I wasn't sure and thought the worst cos nothing ever is both cheap and easy to install that actually fixes a problem!!

Good to go thicker, I've always used 10w60 Millers CFS in both my Z's, how thin must 5w30 be when its at 100 degrees+! It splash's like water when its cold.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this thread, cheers for the pics on the seat mounts, definitely useful !

I also had a bit of smoke, good compression for the age\mileage so it's likely the valve stem seals.

I used some Wynns Stop Leak, and didn't get any more smoke :thumbs:

• Like 1

When was the last time you did an oil change and that was clean?

Was a while ago to be fair but the car doesn't do that many miles, I'm not going to worry to much will just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk