Phil's 350z track day toy

philw99

Just saw this thread, cheers for the pics on the seat mounts, definitely useful !

I also had a bit of smoke, good compression for the agemileage so it's likely the valve stem seals.

I used some Wynns Stop Leak, and didn't get any more smoke :thumbs:

Glad the pics were useful ðŸ‘I'll grab some Wynns Stop Leak today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thats really difficult to say to be honest. Id go out on a limb here and say a small amount of swarf is normal, especially if the vehicles being driven hard regularly. Like your picture is very reminiscent of my old Honda which got tracked and it was still pulling well with 130K on the engine.

This is why whenever I do an oil change I strain the oil through a pair of tights to keep an eye on any nuggets that may appear. Im with you on the oil not being thick enough though, and am definitely thinking about a slightly thicker oil with the summer coming

• Like 1

When was the last time you did an oil change and that was clean?

Was a while ago to be fair but the car doesn't do that many miles, I'm not going to worry to much will just keep an eye on it

If its been a while then I wouldn't worry too much as you say, if that magnet was clean last week then maybe it would be different.

Definitely think high temps and thin oil is a contribution to what you're seeing there, switching to thicker should prevent any further high wear. Millers Oils website first mentions track day use at 10w-- on its CFS engine oil so that should tell you something 5w-- is for "max power release like qualifying laps or sprints/ hillclimb use where its short duration". I also change my oil every 2 track days even if its 2 in 1 month!, maybe over kill but £60 on oil to protect £000's worth of engine is a good deal in my book

Good luck with it all

• Like 1

Yup I'm just changing my oil too, 2 in track days just done.

Phil have you got an oil cooler + pan spacer/sump ?

Yer do have a bigger sump and Oil cooler however I'm sure the oil cooler needs more work, It's not getting the temperature down much. What oil did you go for?

Yup I'm just changing my oil too, 2 in track days just done.

Phil have you got an oil cooler + pan spacer/sump ?

Yer do have a bigger sump and Oil cooler however I'm sure the oil cooler needs more work, It's not getting the temperature down much. What oil did you go for?

I went for Mobil 1, good price on Opie at the moment, I've not used it before so I don't know how high the quality is but better than my usual stuff I think.

(Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX XTL)

I'll go onto Pro S and will stick with 5w30 as the cooler seems to work nicely. Ideally I'll start sending the oil away for analysis makes more sense rather than just guessing.