Fuel advice

Quinster

I'm running BP Ultimate 97 at the moment, but there's an Esso station opened nearby and i was wondering about the difference between this Synergy+ v BP Ultimate.

The only thing i know is the Synergy is 97 Ron, same as BP.

Anyone switched and was there any difference?

Thanks in advance, i know this'll have been asked many times.

Cheers.

Robert.

What does it say on your fuel flap when you open it? Should have a label with the type of petrol you should use on that vehicle.

The general consensus in here is to use 98/99 RON only.

Been using 97 for four months and never had a problem, was just curious about the Esso gear.

There's nowhere near me sells 98 or 99.

I was at Abbey today and Tony showed me a piston from a 350 (sorry don't remember the year) that had been run almost exclusively on 95 Ron unleaded fuel, please don't do it guys, it's going to hurt your engine AND your wallet eventually................... wacko.gifcc_surrender.gif

~edited to make clear this was use of 95 Ron almost exclusively

photo-2-1.jpg

For the first 9 months of my ownership I was using tesco momentum 99 the zed ran fine no issues apart from a juddering rev needle at idle recently a esso synergy garage opened around my area so thought I would give it a go running the synergy 97 within a month the idle problem went away the car seems to run smoother and for some reason the average MPG has gone up by 3 on my daily commute no change in driving style noted from 19 to 22 will be staying with synergy fuels for the near future.

Edited by roasty
  • Like 1

BP Ultimate is absolutely fine. It conforms to the BS for super unleaded, which is the exact same standard that Tesco, Shell, Esso and all the other companies that make super unleaded have to conform to. Check the label on the pump, I promise you it's the same number. :)

• Like 1

I seem to recall that using the lower grade fuel is fine unless running your car hard, pushing it 4K and above? Don't quote me on it just recall reason it somewhere. I typically use she'll v power or tesco momentum depending on where I am and how badly I need to fill up and they're both fine

Esso Synergy helped with the idle? Interesting. I run Tesco 99 almost exclusively but occasionally V Power. I've been a bit on the fence about trying Esso purely out of ignorance - if it conforms to a super 'standard', and could potentially help with the idle I might give it a go.

I seem to recall that using the lower grade fuel is fine unless running your car hard, pushing it 4K and above? Don't quote me on it just recall reason it somewhere. I typically use she'll v power or tesco momentum depending on where I am and how badly I need to fill up and they're both fine

Yes its because the DE ECU has no knock control in the higher RPM/load regions, so if you use lower ron fuel your likely to be getting knock, but with no sensing for ignition retard where you need it most, (well done Nissan!) you end up with damage to the rings/ring lands, so false economy really.

My shell garage got flooded so I'm using BP Ultimate 97 for the last three refills. I travelled quite a distance to the second nearest Shell garage only to discover they don't stock V-Power. I was quite disappointed! Iv never used tesco 99, maybe next time.

From the look of this thread - and I am sure there are others - overall it is going to be fine (in terms of "no damage") as long as I use whichever premium unleaded is available at a given station, and there is a small chance that I'll perceive a difference in performance and/or consumption when using a PARTICULAR flavour of premium.

Is that about right?

As I should be collecting my first Zed on Sunday and I need to know whether to immediately fuss about 97 vs. 98, Shell vs Esso vs BP vs Tesco etc. etc.

Edit to say I thought the post above was referring to using anything under 97ron!

The answer is no! the measurement of octane is a reference to the fuels ability to resist knock during combustion, so the lower the figure, the lower the knock resistance, the manufactures don't place a limitation on the octane of the fuel you should use for fun, so if you want to risk your engine its up to you.

I dare say some have got a way with using lower octane fuel, however all that means is the engine has not yet received enough damage from knock taking place for it to become apparent IE ring/ring land damage, I would hazard a guess that if all of the motors that had been using lower octane fuel where compression or better still leak down tested at least half of them would exhibit lower compression on one or more cylinders.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

From the look of this thread - and I am sure there are others - overall it is going to be fine (in terms of "no damage") as long as I use whichever premium unleaded is available at a given station, and there is a small chance that I'll perceive a difference in performance and/or consumption when using a PARTICULAR flavour of premium.

Is that about right?

Yes, that's absolutely correct. As long as it's marked for 97RON or higher, you have absolutely no risk whatsoever. Any choice you make after that as to which brand you go with is purely a financial one.

Or who gives you the most points on your clubcard :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the Z on two full tanks of Esso synergy and found the idle to run higher (it would shoot up to 1500RPM) and then drop again quickly.

It was slightly erratic (only on idle).

There was no visible improvement so I've decided to stick to BP Ultimate.

Idle's back to normal now.