windows vista advice pls....

stuey

im just about to buy a laptop which is commin with a vista home setup on it........

the thing is i have 2 yrs accounts on my pc now (which is running windows xp) on my microsoft word programme..........

will this be transfereable on to vista or do i need to buy and install a vista office word.........?? :blush:

and if so how much is it......!! :headhurt:

Guest prescience
groovey............. :teeth:

how about a printer............ my printer driver is for xp...................

will that work on vista too............. :blush:

unlikely ;)

groovey............. :teeth:

how about a printer............ my printer driver is for xp...................

will that work on vista too............. :blush:

unlikely ;)

he's right, i've tried installing a few printers with vista on a number of different computers, not even old printers ! and there is no drivers to run with vista - rip off and vista should be backward compatible !

try it, its a lottery

I'm the same as Gixxer..no problems running it at all. My printer also seemed to just work with Vista, no need for any additional drivers but even if you do need them and don't have the original disc, there are plenty of places on the net you can download them from :thumbs:

I'm the same as Gixxer..no problems running it at all. My printer also seemed to just work with Vista, no need for any additional drivers but even if you do need them and don't have the original disc, there are plenty of places on the net you can download them from :thumbs:

like i say its a lottery with printers but some wont work with xp drivers on vista and there arent drivers wrote for that printer for vista

some do and some dont :thumbs:

Guest prescience

like i say its a lottery with printers but some wont work with xp drivers on vista and there arent drivers wrote for that printer for vista

some do and some dont :thumbs:

spot on :thumbs:

and the official MS advice ....

upgrade your printer :rant::rant::angry:

Hi Stuey,

Unless your printer is no longer supported by the manufacturer (i.e. its more than 5 years old) you should find that you can download Vista drivers from the support pages of their website, specifically for your printer model.

What is your printer make and model?

office works fine with vista , vista has improved a lot since its release due to people complaining but (i.e. its more than 5 years old) isnt true, some manufacturers havent and are not going to release drivers for vista (its all about £££Â£)

chances are you will be ok

I recently purchased a new laptop and it comes with Vista Home premium.

From the point of XP, Vista seems to be a tiny step as opposed to a great leap forward - they have just moved the soddin' stuff about and given it a fancy pants display , but under the covers its still very much XP, so my point is if you go to the printer manufacturers website - you can usually find a Vista driver. (More so now than a few months ago anyway)

I had to do that for my ageing Epson printer and digi camera (which is only 4 years old but pre-vista)no problem at all.

Just make sure your laptop has ideally 2meg memory and a Core 2 duo at least 1.8Ghz processor speed, anything less and performance suffers.

Great innit -they build faster and better pc's now than ever, shame the software does'nt match the hardware? :angry:

Good luck with it - its not the slickest software around but you get used to the rearranged furnishing soon enough .

Hope this helps

Stan