my first swirl mark removal/detail

MartinGT

well i started off with having to try and sort my mums new 3 series front bumper after someone decided to do this to it in a car park :(

just wanna say everything i done was with easily available products and equipment, no fancy detailing gear, i wanted to see how it'd go.

1small.jpg

so i clayed the paint to remove any tar and as much of the white paint scuffs as i could. tried using some autoglym paint renovator by hand but to no avail, so used my silverline rotary and some 3m finnesse-it and a soft farecla pad and got all of it out except some scratches which were through the paint, touched them up as best i could, it'll do for now!

16small.jpg

so i decided to do a test panel on my azure blue 350z, as the car is MAJORLY swirl marked, the previous owner obviously wasnt the best at looking after it. after megs clay and QD it looked like this. swirl heaven.

2small.jpg

3small.jpg

so again, using my silverline rotary and 3m finesse-it with a good mist of water on the panel i got it looking like this, but it still had some deeper scratches which i wasn't happy about.

4small.jpg

5small.jpg

so to try and get most of the deeper scratches out, i broke out the farecla G3 (don't all cringe at once!). plenty of misted water and a little G3, and light pressure as i knew 350z paint is patchy depth wise, and i was left with usual G3 marks, but less scratches.

6small.jpg

7small.jpg

once again, back over the panel with 3m finesse-it and a soft pad, plenty of misted water, made 2 passes with this and it started to come good.

8small.jpg

9small.jpg

apart from some very small but deep scratches which i didnt want to attempt to remove, it was swirl free and ten times better than at first!

finally i used autoglym extra gloss protection glaze, then some megs gold class paste wax, pretty pleased with the result.

11small.jpg

12small.jpg

13small.jpg

15small.jpg

feel like i'd got the hang of what to do now for the rest of the car, can't wait til i get the time to do it! if anyones got any comments, hints or tips then post away :)

indeed gixxer, but the pro's use rotarys, and with plenty of water and slow speed, it won't damage it if you're careful. plus the rotary i have was something like £50 new, a porter cable is what, £200? seen people using them, they seem like hard work!

she said not to bother cos it'll be manky by next week :lol: she just wanted to see if the marks would come out as its a lease car from work and wanted to know whether she'd have to send it away to be fixed. its got a crease in the bumper but its not really noticeable so she's happy.

yeah, looks really good , i've got a udm orbital and a i've got a rotary aswell

nice work B) i like poorboys and clearkote stuff and then throw a sealer or wax over for protection

i reckon it will look stunning when you have done it all, the swirls will dull the colour on azure, so it will look really vibrant when its finished B)

you can get a pc for about £120 now mate

most pro's do use rotarys but they also use paint depth guages and a lot of experience ;)

this is awesome work B)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... light=350z

Meguiars have just bought out an orbital that doesn't need a transformer for £150 which seems quite reasonable. :)

Nice job Martin, at one point I thought you'd gone a bit far with the efforts for deeper swirl removal but the result is B):thumbs: .

Nice choice of products. Ultra Gloss is a great product IMO.

Very nicely done. Made a good difference.

Sunset can look quite dull at times but put it in the sun and it looks amazing! B)

Hehe, pop it on a plane/boat over to NZ, I'll get that Le Mans Sunset looking glorious. :lol: Hmm, having said that I must get my act into gear, as have a few major car shows coming up in the next month, and not only my Zed to groom. :wacko:

Nice work! She looks great!

There's a secret easier way to take out the swirlies, even bad ones.

It's called Z-5. Put it on, let it dry, and wipe it off (use microfiber). For really bad swirlies, 2-3 coats usually does it. After that, a couple coats of Z-2 and you've got incredible depth and luster. You can use a random orbital to buff out both Z-5 and Z-2

Z = Zaino, and Zaino is for Z cars. :D

It's called Z-5. Put it on, let it dry, and wipe it off (use microfiber). For really bad swirlies, 2-3 coats usually does it.

I found it didnt make the slightest difference on my Z. I tried 3 coats on a panel before I used the PC to see if the swirls were light enough, but I genuinely couldnt tell any difference at all with the Z-5 regarding swirl removal. I use the Zaino stuff on all my cars, the longevity is amazing, but I think the Z-5 isnt really all it is cracked up to be.

Martin,

Looks ace, did you get any full car before / after shots??