Getting the zed track ready over the winter.

matt89

As a new owner of a zed I'd absolutely love to take it round a track come Spring/Summer. Had the car for a few weeks and already done the most important mod for me. Removing the tape player.....

I'm hoping by the spring I'll have saved enough for a set of 19" wheels. I think that the factory 18" Rays will offer better track performance. (19 for show, 18 for go, is what I've seen thrown around a little...!). So I'm interested in some form of rack for the rear of the car that could maybe fit 3 or 4 wheels but also be easily changeable to take a road bike for when I go on bike rides.

In terms of prepping the car I've seen mentioned a few times a few things below. Please let me know If I've missed anything crucial for ensuring a safe car at the track. Not after massive performance etc for my first year! Just safety and a huge smile on my face. Suggestions on brands etc for the below would be appreciated.

New braided brake lines

New discs?

New pads?

New helmet

Getting suspension geometry checked (is there a standard I could show a mechanic so they could ensure it matches that?)

New track tyres that can also be used on the road (just in case)

Thanks.

Most laser alignment places will have the factory settings in house, try for a Hunter, they are very good.

Federal rsr or Nankang ns2r are road legal.

Plenty of good brake set ups out there, ferodo ds2500 pads would be my choice for a road, track pad. Ebc, dba, mtec all offer good discs.

Get yourself a tyre pressure gauge and always carry a bit of oil for top ups.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Most track tyres are also road legal, but obviously have poor resistance to aquaplaning. we run federals on our beemer and are very impressed for the price, even in lashing rain they still perform well. if you've got a bit more budget to spend then yokohama track tyres (cant remember the ones, AD08s?) have a good rep.

Probably wouldn't go for full slicks unless you're running a fully set up car.

And don't forget decent brake fluid - boiling fluid is not fun.

in terms of necessity, i'd say the order should be brake pads, brake fluid, decent tyres as a bare minimum. then brake discs and braided lines. most important thing to check and keep checking is that the car is in general good condition, all fluids are topped up and stay topped up during the course of the day. You wont destroy a set of tyres unless you're sliding around a lot - and if you are sliding around a lot on a dry day, get some driving tuition!

Hi Matt,

I've run my Z a couple of times now (Bedford and Setterton) and sofar it's performed fine totally standard.

The only things I have changed are tyres to Yokohama Neova, but I will fit DS250 pads when the current ones wear out.

Maybe see you at Bedford some time...

Thank you for your guidance.

Most laser alignment places will have the factory settings in house, try for a Hunter, they are very good.

Thanks, always have a tyre pressure gauge so that's one thing ticked off but completely forgot about oil top ups.

Whta makes for a good brake fluid? Any particular brand/rating?

Hi Matt,

I've run my Z a couple of times now (Bedford and Setterton) and sofar it's performed fine totally standard.

The only things I have changed are tyres to Yokohama Neova, but I will fit DS250 pads when the current ones wear out.

Good to know it runs well standard! I thought it would... Hopefully see you there, I think Bedford would be my choice of track for my first track day shenanigans.

I run AD08R's on my Teg and they are superb. Did a very wet day at Donington the other month and they held up brilliant. It was so wet that the session get red flagged a couple of times as the cars were aqua planning off the track a few times.

Did you aqua plane as well? Guessing you didn't from the way you typed that up.

Thank you for your guidance.

Thanks, always have a tyre pressure gauge so that's one thing ticked off but completely forgot about oil top ups.

Whta makes for a good brake fluid? Any particular brand/rating?

Hi Matt,

Good to know it runs well standard! I thought it would... Hopefully see you there, I think Bedford would be my choice of track for my first track day shenanigans.

I run AD08R's on my Teg and they are superb. Did a very wet day at Donington the other month and they held up brilliant. It was so wet that the session get red flagged a couple of times as the cars were aqua planning off the track a few times.

Did you aqua plane as well? Guessing you didn't from the way you typed that up.

No aqua planning thankfully, just lots of sliding :) A couple of Lotus cars did, with one getting quite smashed up :( They are superb tyres, just remember that in the wet, they are not the best but that would be the case with all track tyres.

This was an indicator on how wet it was. It did get much worse but it was still great fun :)

Edited by Linus27

Yeah those are not nice conditions, what about the guy in the yelllow caterham?

Also surprised that you take a teg out in rain like that given their propensity to rust.

I actually prefer it to be wet or raining. I enjoy that much more. I'm doing Spa in April and I'm hoping it's going to be wet.

Ah, it's a Integra DC5 so no rust problems :) More worried about damaging it as only around 300 in the country.

Also surprised that you take a teg out in rain like that given their propensity to rust.

I actually prefer it to be wet or raining. I enjoy that much more. I'm doing Spa in April and I'm hoping it's going to be wet.

Ah, it's a Integra DC5 so no rust problems :) More worried about damaging it as only around 300 in the country.

Still pondering about buying one although it would be an extravagance and very stupid. Read about rust problems on sills and arches on DC5s though, seems to be a Honda feature!

Still pondering about buying one although it would be an extravagance and very stupid. Read about rust problems on sills and arches on DC5s though, seems to be a Honda feature!

I've never heard of that on a DC5. The forum is also pretty small so most things are discussed and well known. I'll have to look into it so thanks for bringing to my attention. My DC5 is 14 years old and no rust yet fingers crossed :)

I'm the same about a Zed. Really want one to tick off the list but really don't need one, have no need for one and is an extravagance. No room for a fourth car either. If I can find a place to store my Teg which is basically my track car then chances are I would be stupid and end up buying a Zed :)

Edited by Linus27

I've never heard of that on a DC5. The forum is also pretty small so most things are discussed and well known. I'll have to look into it so thanks for bringing to my attention. My DC5 is 14 years old and no rust yet fingers crossed :)

I'm the same about a Zed. Really want one to tick off the list but really don't need one, have no need for one and is an extravagance. No room for a fourth car either. If I can find a place to store my Teg which is basically my track car then chances are I would be stupid and end up buying a Zed :)

're the DC5 rust it's nowhere near as bad as a DC2 but there are threads out there showing rear arch bubbling.

• Like 1

're the DC5 rust it's nowhere near as bad as a DC2 but there are threads out there showing rear arch bubbling.

Have you had chance to look at one or drive one at all?

Yes test drove a couple and also visited TGM. One was heavily modified and felt pretty hard for daily drive the other was standard barring an unknown brand of jap exhaust. Love the dual nature of the car and hilarious cam phase change as you reach up the revs. Both cars felt a lot more nimble and lighter on their toes than the 370ZN but you defo miss the torque! Might take a punt on a standard arctic blue in summer depending on bonus situ.

Yes test drove a couple and also visited TGM. One was heavily modified and felt pretty hard for daily drive the other was standard barring an unknown brand of jap exhaust. Love the dual nature of the car and hilarious cam phase change as you reach up the revs. Both cars felt a lot more nimble and lighter on their toes than the 370ZN but you defo miss the torque! Might take a punt on a standard arctic blue in summer depending on bonus situ.

Ok cool. Yes they are certainly duel nature and the cam change is so much fun, especially with a great sounding exhaust. As someone one said, it sounds like unicorns farting every time you get the crossover :) I get what you say with the torque but that can easily be fixed with a good exhaust and remap. I currently have a decat and Spoon Sports cat back and a lovely induction kit and it rips my face off. Still plenty more power to had if I wanted but I'm happy with it as it is.

If you do get one and fancy a slight improvement, then get a Fujisubo RM01A, Do Luck Air filter and a K100 remap and it will be a big improvement. Will cost just over a grand and Tom at TGM will be able to sort it all for you.

• Like 1

Dynamic turtle and Linus - you dont have to quote every post in a conversation every time guys, particularly when theres only two of you in it :lol:

The Zed is a pretty capable car to start with but it needs braided brake lines, if youre running anything less than a DS2500 brake pad then Id get them changed too - I recommend Carbon Lorraine RC5+ myself, they are awesome. Get the brake fluid changed as well without question, nothing ruins a day more than tired brake fluid.

The cars really benefit from stiffer suspension, if you cant stretch to coilovers then look into anti roll bars. If youre planning on doing days while the weather is still still crap road tyres wont cause you and problems, MPSS are the best thing this side of race wets for heavy rain, its only when it gets hot that the heavy old Zed starts to benefit from non melty tyres - NS2R are good, and very good in the wet but if youre biting the bullet the other well known track tyres such as aforementioned RSR have more ultimate grip in the dry.

For the 950th time you dont need discs unless theres something wrong with yours, cheap helmets are fine for use in cars and if youre having to top up any fluids during the day itself you have problems. Ive got to be honest, ID really not worry about running certain tyre pressure until you have a bit more experience and are chasing lap times, and remember - you are the only person that will cause youreself to crash, dont push too hard and enjoy a lot more :)

i would keep an eye on the pressures... cold pressures of 35psi can easily shoot up to 44psi when the tyres get hot, which will severely impact the grip levels.

I'd start the day at 35psi, do a few sessions then come in and check pressures again, and then lower them back down to 35psi.

Then ideally at the end of the day put a bit more air in them for the drive home once they cool down again.