MOT fail + blowing exhaust = upgrade time

Mikevv

Hi guys, having just had my P3 done at a local they've advised me that the MOT will fail if they try and put it through now.

Apparently my back box ( yes joke away ) is blowing a bit and the mid pipe too.

My logic is rather than buy separate parts, why not upgrade my entire system?

From what I've gotten calling local Nissan dealers, I'm looking at around £1200 which is laughable.

Surely I can get a nice TI tipped system like an Invidia Gemini FITTED for less than the cost of an OEM system?

What would people suggest? I find the OEM sound ample, but won't mind if it's louder - who doesn't ??

I personally don't see the point in buying a used system cause in a few months I could be back to this situation, and like I said I want the nicer system - funds allowing obviously.

My problem is that I need a cat back system, but my heat shields on the cats are essentially non existent due to a lot of corrosion, so I will probably need to replace them some time mid to end of 2016, and I want to plan ahead and get a system that will work well together.

Do Berks HFC pass the MOT? Whats the different between the HFC and HFC test pipes? ( my little brain thinks the test pipes are for passing MOT's??? )

What cheaper alternatives can you suggest for any of it?

I want better than OEM quality, at a reasonable price. I don't mind forking out extra if it will save me in the long run and be a higher quality product. I've seen some systems as low as £450 and it makes me wary.

Sorry for the rambles - I'm a bit excited at getting new parts, but dreading the bill haha

Post some suggestions if you want - I'm off to browse the for sale sections ;)

Hfc = high flow cat, hfc test pipes = you have made that up ;) Test pipes are straight through, no cat of any description and will guarantee a mot fail.

Berks should pass mot but no guarantee and they "might" also throw up engine management lights.

Most aftermarket exhausts will be better than oem as they are stainless steel.

I would recommend Milltek if you like oem style sound, apart from Nismo/Fujitsubo they are probably the quietest.

Edited by Jetpilot

Test pipes are true decats - ie a tube with nothing in it. Will completely fail an MOT.

HFCs should pass MOTs, but no guarantee.

Regarding repair/replace - you can probably get the OEM bits second hand for under £100, or if you want a reasonable cat-back system you're looking at around £500 minimum, but this does vary hugely of course, depending on what you go for.

Hfc = high flow cat, hfc test pipes = you have made that up ;) Test pipes are straight through, no cat of any description and will guarantee a mot fail.

Berks should pass mot but no guarantee and they "might" also throw up engine management lights.

Most aftermarket exhausts will be better than oem as they are stainless steel.

I would recommend Milltek if you like oem style sound, apart from Nismo/Fujitsubo they are probably the quietest.

This is where I was getting confused - They are listed as High flow cat test pipes haha Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for clearing it up :)

http://www.tarmacspo...<br /><br />

Having had EML lights before, and airbag lights for no reason, I am not keen on returning to that, so might just not bother haha

Edited by Mikevv

Test pipes are true decats - ie a tube with nothing in it. Will completely fail an MOT.

HFCs should pass MOTs, but no guarantee.

Regarding repair/replace - you can probably get the OEM bits second hand for under £100, or if you want a reasonable cat-back system you're looking at around £500 minimum, but this does vary hugely of course, depending on what you go for.

I'm looking at getting an OEM system from Cornwall at the moment, but worried it won't fit in the cabin of a 350z lol. I live near Bournemouth so a bit of a drive, but if it's a steal then it's worth it. He said the system had 11K miles on it, so should be like new right?

Sorry I replied to the wrong person, but I can't be bothered with EML's and stuff... had that before in a BMW and it was a ballache :p

Mike if you d like to hear the gemini invidia system its what i am currently running on mine.....only just down the road from you. :teeth:

Oh wow that would be great - I think I saw you the other day!! I was in a black 350z heading towards Ferndown from Ringwood - Saw 2 black 370z's as well.

Anyways haha when would be good for you? I might be heading past on Sunday - going to Tower park but not sure of the time, when are you free?

I have a oem one off my 08 zed that's covered 25k if that's the route you go . I'm in Totton :)

Does that fit an 07 DE ? sorry just not sure with the facelifts and HR's etc. Don't want a fancy paper weight just yet ;)

Yes all will fit bar the cats . But if I were you I would upgrade to an invidia or milltek system ...... But on a budget a standard , good condition exhaust should last a good few years .

Unfortunately right now I can't afford it without the help of my credit cards - Which I try to avoid if I can, being young and having huge debt is not something I want :p

Can you send me some pics and a rough price? I can collect cause Totton isn't so bad :D

I'm assuming Tarmac will sell the gaskets btw?

• Like 1

I'm off on holiday in a few hours so no time I'm afraid . Not really sure what it's worth to be honest . When I get back on the 21st I'll get some pics over to you and go from there . If another comes up in that time just go for it mate as I'm not worried about selling it really :)

No worries mate, as long as I get a 'zorst fitted for my MOT on the 9th of Jan I should be okay :D

Enjoy your holiday :)

I have a oem one off my 08 zed that's covered 25k if that's the route you go . I'm in Totton :)

Sorry mate just thought I would double check this with you, but the exhaust a cat back? Found a similar system but he was missing the Y pipe, so I said no thanks hahaha

Need a Y pipe, mid pipe and backbox ( so catback , if I'm not mistaken )

Thanks - Apologies for looking like a newb hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...