Scary Scary! Anyone bought a car from S Ireland and imported to UK

Flex

Ok so I'm about to pyut a deposit down on a car, fly over Friday, collect and ferry back. Never done anything like this!

I don't think there's any VAT/Duty (yes I'm an accountant but it's not something I've encountered before), DVLA I think is fairly straight forward. It's a second hand car btw.

Anything I need to consider?

I'll update with what it is as soon as it's on.

Edited by Flex

Sure you do not have to pay import tax on it? Just like any import car to the UK? You would then need to get it registered and go through the IVA?

If it was sold new in Ireland and had not been registered in the UK before then you are due import duty.

From the DVLA site

You don’t usually have to pay VAT if you’re importing a second-hand vehicle and the VAT was paid in another EU country.

You’ll have to pay VAT if your vehicle is classed as a ‘new means of transport’ - ie it’s less than 6 months old and has done less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles). HMRC will tell you if this is the case.

Pete

• Like 1

Sure you do not have to pay import tax on it? Just like any import car to the UK? You would then need to get it registered and go through the IVA?

If it was sold new in Ireland and had not been registered in the UK before then you are due import duty.

You might be right. Duty only due if it's only if coming in from outside the UK, no?

From my previous experience of "importing" a new car from Southern Ireland to Northern Ireland I didn't have to pay vat at the Southern Ireland rate ( which was very high ) but instead at the UK rate. As Coldel has said unfortunately Southern Ireland is not part of the UK so you will definately have vat to pay. If u were buying the car in Northern Ireland then u have nothing to pay at all except a ferry across the Irish Sea.

A bargain could be had here if it is in good shape - would definitely give yourself plenty time to check the car over. You can buy compression checking kits from a trader on one of the Skyline forums for about £20, worth the investment if there is no garage over there that can do it for you. I think if you are looking to buy a keeper get an issue free one from the start. Ownership of performance cars in Ireland I have heard is very expensive, and they know the market for buyers is multiples higher in the UK so I wouldnt make it an easy sale for the guy, I would swallow the air fare if the car is not straight and come back empty handed.

• Like 1

A bargain could be had here if it is in good shape - would definitely give yourself plenty time to check the car over. You can buy compression checking kits from a trader on one of the Skyline forums for about £20, worth the investment if there is no garage over there that can do it for you. I think if you are looking to buy a keeper get an issue free one from the start. Ownership of performance cars in Ireland I have heard is very expensive, and they know the market for buyers is multiples higher in the UK so I wouldnt make it an easy sale for the guy, I would swallow the air fare if the car is not straight and come back empty handed.

Cheers CD, appreciate that.

There are a number of tests, you can do a leak down test but you can at least cover yourself in as many areas as possible - plenty of would be buyers of R33s have reported compression issues on cars, its not as uncommon as you think and if there is a compression issue then you would not be paying the full rate for the car - it certainly gives you a great bargaining tool if it picks something up and you still want the car.

• Like 1