Hesitation problems ... Again

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

Just want to clear something up. When I'm driving my zed, should I feel hesitations when I lift my foot off of the accelerator? For example, I was driving down a hill this evening and eased off to maintain a steady speed and could feel the car hesitate a number of times. Is there some sort of fuel cut device that kicks in or is it a sign of some issue?

Thanks.

I have a 350Z GT4 (2005), which I believe is a DE model. It has also had the Uprev mod.

Since the last time I posted a thread on the hesitation issue, my local garage has put some sort of Engine Flush solution in with the fuel. I guess something like Redex to clean the injectors. I've not really noticed any difference though.

I have read a number of threads on line that have suggested all sorts of possible reasons for it and like my garage says, I could end up spending a ton of money changing this part or that part to try and narrow down the fault.

Some people have mentioned that it could be a faulty coil pack. Others have said the fuel pump might be getting lazy. Someone also said it could be a faulty spark plug, but I had the problem before the car was serviced not long ago and all the plugs were changed and it didn't make a difference. Oh and somebody did also suggest that maybe the throttle body was dirty or wasn't functioning correctly. A new MAF was also installed about 3 months ago, so I've discounted that. I do also have an ODB device and software and the last time I hooked it up, it didn't show any error codes.

The advice from my garage has been to continue driving the car until either something very noticeable occurs or it packs up all together. Then they might be able to finally locate the problem. That's fine, but I prefer to come at it from a pro-active position rather than a re-active position, if you know what I mean.

I'm not that knowledgeable about these things if I am honest and I don't have a bottomless pit of money to hand either. So I really don't know where to start.

The description in your first post sounds similar the effect when using cruise and coasting downhill and that steps in to keep to the set speed. Is it like that?

If it is have, you been using cruise beforehand only it made me think whether the process that does that in cruise might help to narrow down where the issue lies. Just a thought, and it may be nothing to do it with it. :surrender:

Agreed, impossible to diagnose over the Internet and you've listed all the obvious possible solutions - fuel pump would have been my first bet. It is a fault though and not a characteristic. I have a remapped 350Z DE (standard except the exhaust) and it doesn't behave like that.

EDIT: assuming you are running it on decent fuel as well.

Edited by mdunbar

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't use the cruise control, besides I've got an aftermarket momo steering wheel on my zed, so can't access that function anyway.

Fuel wise I always either fill up with Supreme unleaded or momentum from my local tesco garage. I have occasionally put ordinary unleaded in my zed, but that's only when my location and need for fuel means that I've had to go with whatever I can find.

I had the uprev done at Horsham Developments, so I think I will have to arrange to get up there at some point. Might need to be after christmas though as money is a bit tight at the moment.