Any network/Internet/broadband engineer in this forum?

veeg33

Need advice from you regarding home broadband. Talktalk has checked everything (from India) and said my line is working fine and could not find any fault hence I should be getting up to 4.5Mbps ish in my area. Hence to further check, they propose me hire someone to come and have a look at it or they can send an engineer over for £65.

The issue:

Internet speed keeps dropping to below 0.5Mbps for the past week or so. I have to restart my router and fixed the issue temporarily. Sometimes it's fixed for a day, sometimes few hours. Last night was the worst as the restart doesn't fix it.

Rang Talktalk, they performed few tests and confirm no issue but the guy said he will change few settings on my router and asked me to restart it after an hour or so.

Did as he told and speed were back to nominal 4Mbps ish.

However, this morning my Internet is completely dead, even after few restart it stays dead.

Rang Talktalk again..... Few checks and said there is no issue with TalkTalk and it's my own responsibility to hire someone to check.

I haven't changed anything or add item near my router, did not have any new device, and I changed the wifi password as well, just in case someone managed to hack it :scare:

I have a spare line filter and I've swapped it. My Internet seems to be more stable after the swap, but only lasted about 6 hours and I need to restart it. Luckily it's back to normal.

Any idea what else I can do? I'm moving to my new house by end of December (hopefully) and will definitely leave Talktalk hence don't think I want to hire someone to come and check my broadband. If it's still behaving like this, I will cancel my broadband today (saving about (£26 iah) and leave without it until I move house.

• Like 1

Got an oldy lying around if you want to try it. Nothing special but still works.

image_zpsrwxc0b5v.jpeg

It is Sky branded but it's had its brain wiped and reflashed as stock. You'll just need to set it up. Doesn't come with a filter, but sounds like you've got at least one spare.

Drop me a PM if you're interested. No charge.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, much appreciated :thumbs:

Yep, my mobile is 4G, and I get up to 20Mbps however it's only 4gb per month. My missus also on 4G but only 2gb per month. Our broadband was unlimited and we use around 8gb per month. Hence can't just use our mobile. =(

My current router is 2.5yrs old. It's a Huawei HG523a. I guess that guy at TalkTalk was right, it's my own responsibility to sort it out =(

Thanks SuperStu, if you can find it, let me know. I'll be happy to buy it off you. I'm not good with networking but I'm guessing it's not as simple as plug n play? Some sort of setup will be needed it copying the important ISP (my guess) details into a new router?

Just plugged it in, checked it and wiped out the dark things it has seen :scare:

It's pretty simple to set up. I'll put a sticker on it with the default IP address and the default administrator login credentials. Then you just plug it in to your phone line, Ethernet it into your PC and type the IP address into your browser. You'll get a password challenge (details will be supplied) and then you will need to know the talk talk gubbins, which you can probably lift off your existing one or off the web.

Happy to provide some links from the web if you get stuck. No need to buy it mate, just see if it makes a difference, if it does, you know what the problem is :thumbs:

• Like 1

Have you:

Taken the faceplate off the phone socket and plugged into the master socket?

Tried another cable between router and phone socket, as short as possible?

Has anything changed where your router is plugged in?

I had a problem with broadband dropping off seemingly randomly until I noticed it start to rain and immediately disconnect. My problem was the wire fixed outside the house had worn through and corroded.

Best to run through the things you can internally, if an engineer comes and its something external then I beleive talk talk cover the engineer cost, or at least they did when I was having problems. I suppose it might not be worth getting an engineer out in yiur circumstances if there is a chance of having to pay a fee for something you won't make use out of for long.

• Like 1