How long before Nissan ditch the 350Z?

stanski

Hi

Just flicking through the jap car fans website

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071127.009 ... 0-comeback

If Nissan are pushing forward with the GTR and skyline and even bring back 240sx maybe - then where does the 350Z fit?

Are they likely to ditch it - some accountant somewhere will probably decide they have too many sports models? What does everybody think?

I only ask cause I still want to get the roadster but sods law will decide that the week I finally afford one they will soddin replace it :headhurt:

Stan

Keep looking bud

I am sure you are right - trouble with jap cars is when they get a really good one they faff about with lights and little bits for about 3-4 years then they just pull the plug !

Oh well I still want one either way, just thinking about future parts etc etc you know the sort of thing.

Its really down to money now at the end of the day just gotta keep saving and working that overtime... :wacko:

There ain't an accountant in Nissan that would want the 350Z stopped - global sales have been great for them.

Well maybe your right but Toyota for example had a great car in the MR2 roadster (biased I had 2) and decided to ditch it this year as it does'nt fit in with their (supposed green) tree hugging image they want to convey to the world? even though they were still making money on them and orders still comming in?

So they would rather build boring but allegedly green friendly cars! :yawn:

Who knows maybe they are turning into the British Leyland of Japan! God help us all!

There ain't an accountant in Nissan that would want the 350Z stopped - global sales have been great for them.

Well maybe your right but Toyota for example had a great car in the MR2 roadster (biased I had 2) and decided to ditch it this year as it does'nt fit in with their (supposed green) tree hugging image they want to convey to the world? even though they were still making money on them and orders still comming in?

Who knows maybe they are turning into the British Leyland of Japan! God help us all!

Bit different in that the MR2 was pretty old, and since Rover became Over, has no real competitors left to attract people to the 2 seater mid engine weekender. People will take the newer, better MX-5 each time. The MR2 will have been dropped due to age of the car and lack of profits. It was only a 2 litre anyway, so not exactly a big polluter. The name means too much to Toyota, they'll bring out another MR2.

In the mean time, the Zed should be around for a little longer..... :)

Surely its not causing a part problem for MR2 owners is it Stan? I can't really see the problem.

MR2 has been around I know for a while, but the Roadster was only 7 years - which I suppose is a long time for Jap cars or any mark these days? It has a 1.8 vvti engine which I used to regularly get 48mpg out of even when thrashed. Cheap servicing and very well made (better than the MX5 I might add).

Limited luggage space was a very big minus mark and of course taking on the MX5 has been around since 1872 ;) and held the title for that time so its hard breaking into that market - althought toyota did a very good job.

I always thought the old shape MX5 was a bit too toytown for me - the new one looks great inside and from every angle except the front which looks like a bath tub (sorry to any MX5 owners out there).

Anyway back to Zed's no I dont think there will be a parts problem but by the time I manage to get enough cash together to buy a roadster I am hoping it wont be discontinued in favour of the next latest toy, which may of course tempt me to buy instead!! :headhurt:

I have noticed that Nissan accountants obvisouly encouraged the parts bin to be used extensively - the steering wheel , radio and aircon controls look remarkably the same as my Pathfinder - gonna stick 3 yogurt pots with bluetack on the top ofthe dash so I can pretend they are the dials from the Zed - :lol:

Stan

I've read a few rumour based stories on the internet that talk of Nissan developing the 350Z into the 370Z (with a 330bhp 3.7litre engine). Now some stories show pictures a heavily worked new look and others show what looks to be the 350Z we all know and love with a different engine.

I don;t have any specific links to give you but if you google "Nissan 370Z" you will come accross loads of news/rumour pages

When you consider the massive cost involved with developing a new model, and considering the 300zx (Z32) was produced from 1989 - 2000. Although that was under a pure Nissan banner, not Rissan. ;) Internationally 350's would have cost a pretty penny on warranty claims. ;)