Bleeding the Brakes

Dicky

Anyone had any problems with this. Had them bled by Kwick fit about 3yrs ago and after 3 or 4 attempts they were still spongy. Eventually got directions from my main dealer that they had to be power bled, Kwick Fit did this which did the trick.

Had them bled by another main dealer again today following replacement of rear brake pipes. Driving home they felt really spongey and had to be pumped to get any breaking. Rang the garage who said it may be the master cylinder seals or the servo, even though the brakes were much better prior to bleeding.

Anyone suffered similar problems?

I should have mentioned that following Kwick Fits attempts I was left with a slight problem. When I apply the brakes the pedel travel on the first push feels to travel about 20 mm before I get pressure. On the second press of the pedal is rock hard straight off.

This main dealers seems to be suggesting that Kwick Fit may have damaged the brake servo in some way which has got worse following their bleeding attempt.

Does this seem a fair comment?

Sounds like they may have let the master cylinder dry out which can cause an air lock I believe?. They probably just need bleeding again by somewhere that know what they're doing...

I agree it seems to me that air is still in the system. I'm just trying to get some ammo in place in case I need to put up an argument in case they replace something that doesn't need changing.

Ive only ever used two main dealers and both power bled the brakes. I wonder if this method introduces small micro air bubbles which later collect together into a larger bubble.?

Does anyone know how the brake servo works and if there is some sort of manifold inside where air can get trapped.