Bleeding Brakes

dcash5

Not bleeding as is in the damn things but bleeding the fluid.

Has anyone done the brembo setup on here and if so what is the best method... Heard that the old gravity type is a no no as air gets inside the ABS pump. Been looking at the MOTIVE power bleeder systems just trying to get peoples advice... or if anyone has a spare morning afternoon ..? I do make a stirling cup of tea!

When bleeding twin nipple calipers I am under the impression you do the inner then the outer nipple obviously working in the order furthest from the Master Cylinder.

Dan

Bleeding Brake System AFS000U0

CAUTION:

While bleeding, pay attention to master cylinder fluid level.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Connect a vinyl tube to the rear left air bleeder.

3. Fully depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times.

4. With the brake pedal depressed, loosen the air bleeder to let the air out, and then tighten it immediately.

5. Repeat steps 3, 4 until no more air comes out.

6. Tighten the air bleeder to the specified torque. Refer to BR-25, "Components" ,BR-31, "Component" ,BR-

38, "Components" ,BR-44, "Components" .

7. In steps 2 to 6 below, with the master cylinder reservoir tank filled at least half way, bleed air from the front

right, rear right, and front left tires, in that order.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me an idea how much brake fluid the system holds - I'm putting braided lines on before my trackday and want to supply all the bits and pieces.

Am I right in thinking that DOT 5.1 is the way to go, the only disadvantage over DOT 4 being that it's more expensive? DOT 5's squishy synthetic and should be avoided, right?

Cheers for any advice!

dot5.1 absorbs more water so has to be replaced more often but will give a firmer feel and has higher wet and dry boiling temp.

350z holds 0.9ltrs of brake fluid, if your bleeding it yourself I would recommend getting 1.5ltrs to allow for spillages or wastes.

Hope this helps

Dan

Brilliant - exactly the info I've been failing to find for a while, thanks!

So would DOT 4 be a better bet, or shall I just go for the good stuff? I've got a trackday coming up so I could do with them working at their best. How often would you say 5.1 needs replacing? Are we talking more than yearly?

Also, slightly off topic, but my last service report says they put 4.5 litres of engine oil into it - is a 5 litre bottle the right amount to supply if I'm bringing my own?

Thanks again.

4.5ltrs is without a filter 4.7ltrs usually with a filter but most garages will round it to nearest 0.5 ltrs for their stock takes.

If you want the brakes working with the best fluid my recommendation would be something like Motul RBF600 - its a DOT 4 fluid but has the temps and stats of a dot5.1 but its not cheap, including postage you will be looking around the 35-40 quid mark.

Common thoughts are you should change your brake fluid every 2 years but over time it will degrade due to water being absorbed. The more you change the fluid the better your brakes will stay but work on the presumption that 5.1 you would want to change about once a year and dot4 once every 2 years as maximum.

Also if you are tracking the car I would prefere to be safe in the knowledge is good so would probs change it once after every say 4/5 heavy track sessions but then again that is probs over kill!